Featured Use Cases for Amazon SimpleDB
For developers of online games on any platform, Amazon SimpleDB offers a highly-available, scalable, and administration-free database solution for user and game data.
Common data online games can store, index, and query with Amazon SimpleDB includes:
- User scores and achievements
- User settings or preferences
- Information about a player’s items or user-generated content
- Game session state (when play is saved or interrupted)
- Dynamic game content (applying a service-oriented architecture to your game and storing and serving new challenges or content for players with Amazon SimpleDB)
- Indexed metadata for large objects used by your game and stored in Amazon S3
Multiple properties of Amazon SimpleDB make it well-suited to be a data store for online game data:
- High Availability (automatic geo-redundant replication and failover): Amazon SimpleDB achieves high availability by automatically creating multiple copies of your data and managing failover to an available copy in the event one copy becomes unavailable. This means you avoid the complexity of setting up database clusters, but your game and users still enjoy reliable, interruption-free access to key data.
- No-touch scaling: As your user base grows and player activity fluctuates, Amazon SimpleDB simply responds to traffic and request volume as it comes and goes without the need for developer intervention. You only pay for the resources you actually consume.
- Zero administrative overhead: Avoid the hassles of database management and eliminate the work of infrastructure provisioning, software setup, creating and maintaining a schema, building indices, or tuning query performance. You can get back to building fun games and features for your users, and stop being the database administrator.
To learn more about Amazon SimpleDB, visit the product page and begin experimenting today with the free usage tier.