AWS Diagnostics for Microsoft Windows Server is an easy to use tool that you can run on your EC2 Windows Server instances. It is a very valuable tool not just for collecting log files and troubleshooting issues, but also proactively looking for possible areas of concern.
This tool can, for example, be used to diagnose configuration issues between the Windows Firewall and the Amazon EC2 security groups that may affect your applications. It can even examine EBS boot volumes from other instances and collect relevant logs for troubleshooting Windows Server from the volume.
Q: What is the AWS Diagnostics for Microsoft Windows Server?
AWS Diagnostics for Microsoft Windows Server is a standalone executable that can be run on an EC2 Windows Server instance for diagnosis and troubleshooting as well as proactively checking for possible issues. The tool includes a data collector module that collects debug information and packages it in a zip file. It also includes an analyzer module that can analyze the log files collected by the data collector module and parse them based on predefined rule.
Q: When should I use this tool?
If you ever run into issues with your EC2 Windows Server instance and want to do a preliminary check to eliminate some of the known problems, this tool will be a great starting point. It will also relieve the pain point of trying to collect a bunch of different log files manually, especially when you are working with our technical support.
Q: What data will be collected?
Here’s a sample list of data that will be collected. For a comprehensive list, please refer to the user manual
- Network Information, including IP address and route table
- Domain and computer name
- Activation settings, including license status and Key Management Server (KMS) configuration
- Time settings, including current time and time zone
- Installed drivers on the instance
- Windows firewall settings, along with security group rules
- Installed updates
- Mini dump files if Windows has crashed within a week
Q: What are some of the analysis rules?
Here’s a sample list of analysis rules. For a comprehensive list, please refer to the user manual
- Check for activation status and KMS settings
- Check for proper route table entries for metadata and KMS access
- Comparison of AWS Security group rules vs. Windows firewall rules
- Version check for PV driver (Redhat or Citrix)
- Check if the RealTimesUniversal registry key is set
- Default gateway settings if using multiple NICs
- Bug check code in mini dump files
Q: How much does the AWS Diagnostics for Microsoft Windows Server cost?
There is no additional charge for AWS Diagnostics for Microsoft Windows Server.
Q: My EC2 Windows Server just crashed. Can I use this tool to collect log files from the EBS boot volume for that instance?
Yes. In order to do that you will have to detach the volume from the crashed instance and attach it to an instance on which the tool is running. The tool will then parse through the directory structure of the attached EBS volume that you select and will collect the necessary information.
Q: Where can I find more information about the AWS Diagnostic Tool for Microsoft Windows Server?
A comprehensive guide for AWS Diagnostic Tool for Microsoft Windows Server is available here.
Q: Where can I provide feedback on AWS Diagnostic Tool for Microsoft Windows Server?
You can provide the feedback here.
©2012, Amazon Web Services, Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. All other trademarks not owned by AWS that appear on this Site are the property of Microsoft.