How do I launch an Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instance from a custom Amazon Machine Image (AMI)?
To launch a new EC2 instance from an Amazon Machine Image (AMI), do the following:
- Open the EC2 console.
Note: Be sure to select the AWS region you want to launch the instance in.
- From the navigation bar, choose AMIs.
- Find the AMI you want to use to launch a new instance. To begin, open the menu next to the search bar, and then choose one of the following:
If the AMI you’re using is one that you created, select Owned by me.
If the AMI you’re using is a public AMI, select Public images.
If the AMI you’re using is a private image that someone else shared with you, select Private images.
Note: The search bar automatically provides filtering options, as well as automatically matching AMI IDs.
- Select the AMI, and then choose Launch.
- Choose an instance type, and then choose Next: Configure Instance Details.
- Review the Instance Details, and then choose Review and Launch.
- Choose your preferred boot volume, choose Next, and then choose Launch.
- Select an existing key pair or create a new key pair, select the acknowledge agreement box, and then choose Launch Instances.
- Choose View Instances to check the status of your instance.