How do I view my email sending history in Amazon SES?
Last updated: 2020-03-10
I want to review my email sending history in Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES). How can I do that?
You can use Amazon Elasticsearch Service (Amazon ES) and Amazon Kinesis to store and visualize your Amazon SES email sending history.
Create an Amazon ES domain
Create an Amazon ES domain to store your Amazon SES sending history.
Note: For Network configuration, you must select Public access. You must use a public-access domain with the Kinesis delivery stream that you create in the next step.
Create a Kinesis delivery stream
- Open the Kinesis console.
- Choose Create delivery stream.
- For Delivery stream name, enter a name for your stream.
- For Source, select Direct PUT or other sources.
- Choose Next.
- For Process records, choose to transform source records with AWS Lambda. Or, leave all settings as Disabled, and then choose Next.
- Under Amazon Elasticsearch Service destination, enter the following:
For Destination, select Amazon Elasticsearch Service.
For Domain, select the Amazon ES domain that you created to store your Amazon SES sending history.
For Index, enter an index name.
For Index rotation, choose to select a rotation schedule. Or, leave the field with the default No rotation setting.
For Type, enter a type name.
For Retry duration, modify the retry duration in seconds. Or, leave the field with the default 300 seconds.
- Under S3 backup, enter the following:
For Backup mode, select Failed records only.
For Backup S3 bucket, choose to store the records in an existing bucket. Or, choose Create new to create a new bucket.
For Backup S3 bucket prefix, you can optionally enter a prefix. Or, leave this field blank.
- Choose Next.
- For Elasticsearch buffer conditions, S3 compression and encryption, Error logging, Tags, and Permissions, configure the settings for your use case. For more information on these fields, see Configure settings.
- Review the configuration details of your delivery stream, and then choose Create delivery stream.
Create an Amazon SES configuration set
- Open the Amazon SES console.
- From the navigation pane, choose Configuration Sets.
- Choose Create Configuration Set.
- For Configuration Set Name, enter a name for the set. Then, choose Create Configuration Set.
- Open the configuration set that you created.
- For Add Destination, select Firehose.
- In the Firehose Destination dialog box, enter the following:
For Name, enter a name for the destination.
For Event types, select Send, Reject, Delivery, Bounce, and Complaint.
For Stream, select the delivery stream that you created.
For IAM role, select Let SES make a new role. Enter a name for the role, and then choose Create Role.
- Modify your email-sending method to specify the configuration set.
Test your configuration
- Send a test email using the Amazon SES console.
Important: To see the results of the test email, you must specify the configuration set that you created. For Email Format, select Formatted, and then choose More Options. For Configuration Set, enter the name of the configuration set.
- Open the Amazon ES console.
- Choose the domain that you created for storing your Amazon SES sending history.
- In the Overview tab, choose the link next to Kibana.
- Create an index pattern for the index name that you configured when you created the delivery stream.
- After the index pattern is created, use the Discover feature in Kibana to view the log of the test email that you sent.