How do I request a spending limit increase for SMS messages in Amazon SNS?
Last updated: 2021-07-27
I receive a "No quota left for account" error from Amazon Simple Notification Service (Amazon SNS) when trying to send mobile text (SMS) messages. How do I request a spending limit increase for SMS messages in Amazon SNS?
If you reach your monthly SMS messaging spending limit, you receive a No quota left for account error from Amazon SNS. To resolve the error, you must increase your account's spending limit for sending SMS messages in Amazon SNS.
To increase your account's spending limit for sending SMS messages in Amazon SNS, you must open a quota increase case in the AWS Support Center.
Calculate your required SMS spending quota
Important: Make sure that you request an SMS spending quota appropriate for your use case. AWS denies requests for high spending quotas that don't have a valid use case.
Multiply the number of messages that you expect to send each month by the cost of a single message part. Then, multiply that sum by the total number of message parts that are included in each message. The result is your required SMS spend quota.
When calculating your required SMS spend quota, keep in mind the following:
- A single SMS message can contain up to 140 bytes of information.
- If an SMS message contains more than the maximum number of characters, then the message is split into multiple parts.
Important: When you send a message that contains more than one message part, you're charged for the number of message parts contained in the message.
- The maximum number of characters you can include in a single SMS message depends on the type of encoding and characters you use.
Note: If you're using characters in the GSM 03.38 character set (GSM 7-bit alphabet), each message part can contain up to 160 characters. If a message contains any characters that aren't included in the GSM 7-bit alphabet, then each message part can contain up to 70 characters.
Example SMS messages spending quota calculation
(300 messages daily x 30 days) x $0.00266 USD cost per message part x 1 total number of message parts per message = $23.94 USD spend limit
Note: Each country has its own SMS pricing. For more information, see Worldwide SMS pricing.
Write a description of your SMS use case
Make sure that your request for an SMS spending quota increase includes the following details:
- Dollar limit requested
- Link or name of the site or application that's sending SMS messages
- Type of message that you intend to send (transactional, promotional, or one-time password)
- Details of your opt-in process and any other ways that you make sure that you're only sending messages to people who have requested your messages
- AWS Region the sender will use to make API calls to Amazon SNS from
- List of countries that you want to send messages to
- Maximum number of messages that you expect to send per day
- SMS message template that you plan to send
- Any additional information that will help us better understand your use case
Open a quota increase case in the AWS Support Center
For step-by-step instructions, see Requesting increases to your monthly SMS spending quota for Amazon SNS.
Track the status of your request
To track the status of your limit increase request, do the following:
- Open the AWS Support Center.
- In the Open support cases pane, choose your SMS quota increase case. The status of your support case is listed.
You'll receive a status update email from AWS Support that either approves or denies the request.
Important: After you receive confirmation that your SMS spending quota is increased, you must adjust the spending quota for your account on the Amazon SNS console. If you don't update your SMS settings on the Amazon SNS console, your SMS spend limit won't increase.