Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) is looking for developers with C++, Java, or Ruby experience to build and operate the software behind our innovative pricing models and markets that are revolutionizing the software industry. Our team is tasked with exciting and challenging problems, like:
- Building out and optimizing the software behind our pricing models (think of everything it would take to build and scale a stock exchange for computing resources)
- Empowering developers from around the world to migrate their applications to these new pricing models (e.g. features to reduce friction, APIs, tools, architectural patterns, etc.)
- Developing a platform for other AWS teams to build their own versions of our pricing models (e.g. Amazon RDS Reserved Instances)
Members of this team have the opportunity to work with some of the smartest software engineers in the industry to deliver significant impact for the Amazon EC2 business by driving additional revenue and reducing the costs. For instance, this team is tasked with selling Amazon EC2’s ever-changing unused capacity. The first iteration of Spot Instances, a dynamically priced offering based on supply and demand, is just the beginning. This pricing model enables customers to set the price they are willing to pay for an instance, and run their instances while their bid (e.g. the price they set) meets or exceeds the current Spot price. We are growing this team to significantly expand our feature set and manage our rapidly increasing scale.
We are looking for passionate, experienced Ruby, Perl, Java or C/C++ software developers that can design and deliver high quality solutions in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast. Developers on this team need a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. You should be someone who enjoys working on complex system software, is very customer-centric, and feels strongly not only about building good software but about making that software achieve its goals in operational reality. Experience with web-based applications and/or web services-based applications, especially at massive scale, is also helpful.
As general guidance, the following will help ensure a successful application:
- 3-5+ years of industry experience
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
- Linux operating system development.
- Experience with Ruby, Perl, Java or C/C++.
- Experience with Linux development.
- Expertise in delivering high-quality, innovative applications
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent (PhD a plus)
- Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities.
- Knowledge of system performance methodologies along with hands on empirical monitoring
- Strong desire to build, sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Excellent written communication and verbal agility are strong assets.
If you feel like you may fit all or most of these qualifications, we would encourage you to apply by forwarding your resume or any questions to our AWS Recruiting Lead, Kelly O'Mara. Thank you for your interest in AWS.