How do I change my Lightsail plan?
Last updated: 2021-10-27
I want to change my current Amazon Lightsail plan to a different plan. How do I do that?
Your Lightsail plan is based on the Lightsail bundle that you're using.
Upgrading the plan
To upgrade your Lightsail plan to a larger instance, take a snapshot and then create a larger instance from the snapshot.
Downgrading the plan
Moving the Lightsail plan to a smaller instance isn't supported. In Lightsail instances the data is stored in fixed sized SSD disks. The data in SSD isn't stored uniformly. There are no methods to downsize an SSD volume as that process can cause data loss and data corruption. So, it isn't possible to automatically move from a larger Lightsail plan to a smaller one. To migrate to a smaller instance size you must manually copy the site contents to a smaller instance by doing the following:
- Create a new, smaller Lightsail instance.
- Back up and restore the data from the old instance to the new instance. For detailed instructions on how to make a backup and restore your applications on Bitnami stacks, see Create and restore application backups. If this method isn't applicable to your application, then contact the support team for your application to understand how to move the data to a smaller instance.
Note: Keep the following in mind when changing your Lightsail plan:
- Make sure that you're taking a complete backup of the existing Lightsail instance as a snapshot.
- Download the backup and then upload it to a new instance using SFTP/FTP or data stores such as S3 or Lightsail object storage.
- If you have a static IP address, be sure to detach it from your old instance. Then, attach it to your new instance.
- If there is an SSL certificate installed in the old instance and if the certificate files are present outside the /opt/bitnami directory, then you must manually copy the certificate to the new instance.
- The credentials files in the Bitnami instance such as /home/bitnami/bitnami_credentials and /home/bitnami/bitnami_application_password also need to be copied from the old instance to the new one.