How can I resolve high CPU utilization on my T2 or T3 EC2 Windows instance if my CPU is being throttled?
Last updated: 2019-05-17
My T2 or T3 Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) Windows instance is experiencing high CPU utilization because my CPU is being throttled. How can I fix this?
To resolve CPU throttling, you can either enable T2/T3 Unlimited, or change the instance type.
Enable T2/T3 Unlimited
This solution has no downtime, but might cost more, especially if the instance has to burst often.
- Open the Amazon EC2 console, and then choose Instances from the navigation pane.
- Select the instance that is being throttled.
- For Actions, choose Instance Settings, Change T2/T3 Unlimited.
- Choose Enable.
Note: If you still see high CPU utilization after you enable T2/T3 Unlimited, troubleshoot the process that is causing the issue. For more information, see How do I diagnose high CPU utilization on my EC2 Windows instance when my CPU is not being throttled?
Change the instance type
This solution allows you to select an instance that is better suited to your current needs if the instance has to burst often.
Note: Stop your instance before you change your instance type.
You can change to one of the following instance types:
- A T2 or T3 instance type with a higher CPU credit limit.
- An instance type that doesn't use a CPU credit bucket model.
For more information, see How do I get more CPU and memory for my EC2 instance?