How can I add Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control or Database Express to an Amazon RDS Oracle DB instance?
Last updated: 2020-05-20
How can I add Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control or Database Express to an Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) Oracle DB instance?
Use the Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) Option Group to configure OEM Database Control or Database Express based on the following versions of Amazon RDS Oracle:
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Express for Oracle 19c, Oracle 18c, and Oracle 12c
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g Database Control for Oracle 11g
For more information, see Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Express.
- Open the Amazon RDS console in the same AWS Region as your DB instance.
- Choose Databases from the navigation pane, and then choose your DB instance.
- Choose Option groups from the navigation pane. Then, create an option group, if you don't already have an option group that is associated to your DB instance.
- Confirm that the option group uses the Oracle EE or Standard engine, and then choose one of the supported major DB engine versions, such as 12.1.
- After you create the option group, select the new option group, and then choose Add option.
- From the Add option page, choose OEM from the Option name dropdown list.
- Choose the DB engine version, such as 126.96.36.199, from the Version dropdown list.
- Confirm that your Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC) is configured to allow inbound access to the OEM port.
- From the Security Groups list, select the VPC or DB security groups that you want to enable.
Note: You might see that the DB security group is different from the VPC or Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) security group. This is because a DB instance on an EC2 Classic instance might use a DB security group, but DB instances on a VPC use the VPC/EC2 security group.
- Select Apply Immediately, and choose Add Option.
Note: If you add the OEM option for an Oracle 11g DB instance, then there is no outage, and you don't need to restart your DB instance. If you add the OEM option for an Oracle 19c, Oracle 18c, or Oracle 12c DB instance, then a brief outage occurs while your DB instance is automatically restarted.
- Associate this option group with the DB instance by modifying your DB instance.
- After you enable the OEM option, you can use either Database Control or Database Express from your web browser. The URL of the OEM option includes the Amazon RDS endpoint and OEM port. For example, https://mydb.f9rbfa893tft.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com:5500/em for Oracle 19c, Oracle 18c, or Oracle 12c DB instances or https://mydb.f9rbfa893tft.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com:1158/em for Oracle 11g.
- After the page loads, enter the master user name and master password for your DB instance.
You are now ready to manage your Oracle databases.