I've finished transferring data to or from an AWS Snowball appliance, and I'm ready to ship the device back to AWS. How do I ship the Snowball appliance back to AWS?
Follow these steps to prepare a Snowball appliance for shipping to AWS:
- Confirm that there are no data transfers in progress.
Note: If you're using the file interface for the Snowball Edge, you must disable the file interface as well.
- Press the power button to turn off the Snowball device.
Note: If you can't turn off the device even if there's no data transfer in progress, contact AWS Support.
- After the Snowball device is turned off, unplug it.
- Verify that the E-Ink display on the Snowball device shows an AWS address. The E-Ink display automatically updates with an AWS address after the device is unplugged.
Note: If the E-Ink display still shows your address, plug the Snowball device back into power, turn it on, and wait 10 minutes. Then, turn the device off and prepare it for return again.
- Stow the cables that came with the Snowball device in the cable caddy, and then close both panels. You'll hear a click when a panel is securely closed.
If the Snowball device still displays your address after following these steps, contact AWS Support.
After you drop off the device to your Region's carrier, and the carrier processes the shipment, you can monitor the status of your job (including a tracking number for the return shipment) in the Snowball console.