Olympusat Case Study
Olympusat is a large, independent media company specializing in ownership, corporate distribution, production, and technical services. The company has established itself as a leader in the Hispanic television and media space with more than 100 English-language and Spanish-language television networks. The company provides an over-the-top content-delivery offering called VEMOX, which enables Olympusat to distribute live channels and extensive on-demand video to smart televisions and other smart devices via the cloud. Olympusat was founded in 1999 and engages more than eight million viewers each day.
AWS empowers small teams to get code into production fast, allowing time to create new things and be innovative."
Director of Software Development, Olympusat
- Olympusat was running a traditional PHP application, but wanted to use one language to run its backend.
- The company’s server-based architecture required a server administrator to handle upgrades and launch new instances.
- The company wanted to move to a microservices architecture to support both a layer of primitive functions to perform common tasks, as well as another layer of application services such as video-format translation.
Why Amazon Web Services
- Olympusat realized it could develop application services more quickly by switching from a PHP application to a NodeJS implementation using Amazon API Gateway and AWS Lambda.
- The company built a microservices architecture by creating a low-level set of primitive microservices running in an asynchronous workflow, which let the company add new delivery vehicles and data sources without adding code.
- Amazon API Gateway fronts an asynchronous workflow layer that is implemented using AWS Lambda, which validates incoming requests against a schema stored in Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3).
- Once validated, the message is put in a queue in Amazon Simple Queue Service (Amazon SQS) and is added to Amazon DynamoDB.
- The workflow function uses Amazon Simple Notification Service to communicate with the microservices, signaling to either call more services or return results.
- Olympusat saves about $25,000 monthly by eliminating the use of similar, more expensive services.
- Using one backend language managed by AWS Lambda, the company can put code into production without the need to provision infrastructure or disrupt other departments.
- AWS Lambda eliminated the need for server administration, so more time is spent focusing on innovation and problem-solving rather than managing servers.
Olympusat is a large, independent media company specializing in ownership, corporate distribution, production, and technical services.
AWS Services Used
Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) is an object storage service that offers industry-leading scalability, data availability, security, and performance.
Amazon API Gateway
Amazon API Gateway is a fully managed service that makes it easy for developers to create, publish, maintain, monitor, and secure APIs at any scale.
Run code without thinking about servers. Pay only for the compute time you consume.
Fully managed message queues for microservices, distributed systems, and serverless applications.
Companies of all sizes across all industries are transforming their businesses every day using AWS. Contact our experts and start your own AWS Cloud journey today.