Introduction: Build a Basic Web Application
Follow step-by-step instructions to build your first web application.
In this tutorial, you will create a simple web application. You will first build a static website that renders "Hello World." Then you will learn how to add functionality to the website so the text that displays is based on a custom input you provide.
What You Will Learn
This tutorial will walk you through the steps to create the sample web application discussed above. You will learn to:
- Create a static website
- Connect the website to a serverless back-end
- Add interactivity to your web application with an API and a database
The diagram below provides a visual representation of the services used in this tutorial and how they are connected. This application uses Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3), Amazon API Gateway, AWS Lambda, and Amazon DynamoDB as pictured below.
As we go through the tutorial, we will discuss the services in detail and point to resources that will help you get up to speed with them.
This tutorial is divided into five short modules. You must complete each module in order before moving on to the next one.
- Create Static Website (10 minutes): Create a static website using Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3).
- Build Serverless Function (5 minutes): Build a serverless function using AWS Lambda.
- Link Serverless Function to Website (5 minutes): Deploy your serverless function with API Gateway.
- Create Data Table (10 minutes): Persist data in an Amazon DynamoDB table.
- Add Interactivity to Website (5 minutes): Modify your static website to invoke your API.
You will be building this web application using the AWS Web Console accessible directly from your browser.