Product Description: Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose is a fully managed service for delivering real-time streaming data to destinations such as Amazon S3, Amazon Redshift, or Amazon ES. With Kinesis Data Firehose, you do not need to write any applications or manage any resources. You configure your data producers to send data to Kinesis Data Firehose and it automatically delivers the data to the destination that you specified.
How Pricing Works: Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose pricing is based on the volume of data ingested into Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose, which is calculated as the number of data records you send to the service, times the size of each record, rounded up to the nearest 5 KB. For example, if your data records are 42 KB each, Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose will count each record as 45 KB of data ingested. In the US East region, the price for Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose is $0.029 per GB of data ingested. For detailed pricing information, see Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose Pricing.
Cost Example: In this tutorial, you will create two separate Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose delivery streams. One delivery stream will receive the data from your Apache access log producer, and the other stream will receive the output from an Amazon Kinesis Data Analytics application.
For the first Kinesis Data Firehose delivery stream, assume the producer sends 500 records per second, and that each record is less than 5 KB in size (typical for an Apache access log record). The monthly estimate for data ingestion into the Firehose delivery stream consists of the following:
- The price in the US East region is $0.029 per GB of data ingested.
- Record size, rounded up to the nearest 5 KB = 5 KB
- Data ingested (GB per sec) = (500 records/sec * 5 KB/record) / 1,048,576 KB/GB = 0.002384 GB/sec
- Data ingested (GB per month) = 30 days/month * 86,400 sec/day * 0.002384 GB/sec = 6,179.81 GB/month
- Monthly charge: 6,179.81 * $0.029/GB = $179.21
- Hourly charge: In this tutorial, assume that the system is only ingesting data for 1 hour. The cost specifically for this tutorial would be approximately $0.27
The second Firehose delivery stream is receiving records at a much less frequent rate. Because the Amazon Kinesis Analytics application is outputting only a few rows of data every minute, the cost for that delivery stream is correspondingly smaller. Assuming only five records per minute are ingested, and each record is less than 5 KB, the cost for the delivery stream is $0.00005 for the 1-hour duration assumed in this tutorial.