How do I get notified if I'm not getting the maximum discount from my Reserved Instances?
Last updated: 2019-05-14
I want to be notified if I'm not getting the maximum discount from my Amazon EC2 Reserved Instances. How can I get a notification by email?
To receive a notification when you're not getting the maximum discount from your Reserved Instances (RIs), use AWS Budgets.
Note: Before you begin, be sure that you have the necessary permissions to access Cost Explorer and AWS Budgets.
- Sign in to the Billing and Cost Management console, and then open the Budgets pane.
- Choose Create Budget.
- Select Reservation budget, and then choose Set your budget.
- For Reservation budget type, select RI Utilization. For all other options, choose what best fits your use case. For example, to be notified when your RI utilization drops below 90%, enter 90 for Notification criteria.
- Under Refine your budget, select all the options that fit your use case.
- For Email contacts, enter the email addresses where you want to receive a notification.
- Choose Confirm budget.
- Choose Create.
If you use these options, you're notified by email whenever you're receiving less than 90% of the potential discount that your Reserved Instances offer.
Note: Reserved Instance utilization data can take up to three days to update.