How do I find out if my Amazon EC2 Reserved Instances are being fully used?
Last updated: 2022-03-17
I've purchased some Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) Reserved Instances for my account, and I'd like to be sure that I'm getting the maximum benefit from them. How do I find out if my Reserved Instances (RIs) are being fully utilized?
To see the billing hours that are covered by your Amazon EC2 RIs, do the following:
- Open the Billing and Cost Management console.
- Choose Bills in the navigation pane.
You can view the charges for different services in the Details section.
- Expand the Elastic Compute Cloud section and the AWS Region to view the billing information about your RIs.
You can view the Reserved Instance types and billing hours for your RIs.
You can use Cost Explorer reports or Amazon EC2 usage reports to understand more about the utilization of your Reserved Instances. You can use the RI Utilization and RI Coverage reports in Cost Explorer to:
- Track the number of RI hours used against the number of RI hours purchased
- Track the number of hours covered by RIs against the On Demand hours in the table
- Track the number of RI hours that you have reserved but did not use
For information on how to use Cost Explorer to view your RI utilization and coverage, see How can I use Cost Explorer to analyze my spending and usage?