I want to move an AWS Direct Connect (DX) connection from one Amazon Web Service (AWS) account to another. How can I do this?
To move a DX connection between AWS accounts, you must transfer ownership of that connection. The source (current owner) and destination (new owner) AWS accounts must each open separate AWS Support cases to transfer ownership of the DX connection. This process helps verify that both the source and destination AWS accounts agree to the transfer.
The transfer of a DX connection changes ownership and billing of the connection to the transferred account. No changes are made to the DX connection during the transfer. No network outages occur during the ownership transfer of DX connections from one AWS account to another.
Note: This ownership transfer is only for the DX connection. Any virtual interfaces associated with the DX connection are not part of the transfer, and remain associated with the AWS account for which they were created.
Before you begin, be sure that both the current and new owners agree to the DX connection transfer.
- Open an AWS Support case from the source account (the current owner of the DX connection). Be sure to grant permission for AWS Support to transfer the DX connection from this account to the destination account. Also be sure to provide the DX connection ID.
- Open an AWS Support case from the destination account (the new owner of the DX connection). Be sure to grant permission for this account to accept ownership of the DX connection. Also be sure to provide the DX connection ID.
- After the destination account's case is created, note the case ID.
- Update the source account's case with the destination account's case number.
- Wait for AWS Support to review both cases and process the ownership transfer.