This AMI is a clean, base install of Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy, with HA Proxy and Heartbeat pre-installed. It is based on ami-6a57b203, originally built by Eric Hammond for his ec2ubuntu project. This 32-bit AMI is for running on the 32-bit instance sizes including: m1.small, c1.medium
- Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy with upgraded packages (as of 2008-07-01)
- HA-Proxy and Heartbeat pre-installed
- Amazon EC2 AMI tools (1.3-20041 20071010) installed and patched for Ubuntu
- Uses Amazon's newer 2.6.21 kernel (188.8.131.52-2.fc8xen)
- Includes kernel modules for both 2.6.21 and 2.6.16 kernels.
- openssh-server installed
- On first boot, runs instance user-data script if it starts with #!
- Generate new ssh host keys on first boot.
- ca-certificates installed to support SSL in ec2-bundle-upload
- tls disabled for performance and stability
- /etc/apt/sources.list for hardy main restricted universe multiverse
- /etc/event.d/tty[2-6] removed to avoid error messages in logs
- Shadow passwords enabled
- root password locked
- 4GB root (/) partition
- Network: DHCP on eth0, loopback on lo, simple /etc/hosts with localhost
- root ssh public key creditials retrieved from instance parameters or ephemeral store on startup (standard Amazon EC2 ssh access for public AMIs)
- Added "UseDNS no" to /etc/ssh/sshd_config as recommended by http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/2007-03-01/DeveloperGuide/public-ami-guidelines.html
- Comment appended to /etc/motd using /etc/rc.local
- Locale en_US, Timezone PDT