How can I attach an additional Amazon EBS volume to an OpsWorks instance?
Last updated: 2019-06-14
How can I attach an additional Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS) volume to an AWS OpsWorks instance?
To register your EBS volume with a stack and then associate that volume with an OpsWorks instance, complete the following steps.
Note: EBS volumes should be in XFS format only.
- Open the AWS OpsWorks console, and then choose your stack.
- From the navigation pane, choose Resources, and then choose Volumes.
- Choose Register volumes, and then select the EBS volume that you want to register.
Note: Be sure that the volume isn't attached to another instance. To register and de-register EBS volumes, your AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) policy must grant RegisterVolume, UpdateVolume, and DeregisterVolume permissions to your user or role. You can't attach or detach an EBS volume from a running instance.
- Choose Register with Stack, and then choose assign to instance.
- In Mount point, enter the recommended value for your EBS volume. For more information, see Device Naming on Linux Instances.
- From the Instance menu, choose your instance, and then choose Save.
- From the navigation pane, choose Instances.
- From the Actions column, choose start for your instance.
- Wait for your instance to start, and then choose your instance from the Hostname column.
- For EC2 instance ID, choose your instance.
- Choose the Description tab.
- For Block devices, choose your device.
- For EBS ID, choose the volume ID. The EBS volume is now attached to your instance.