How do I connect to my Amazon RDS for MySQL instance by using MySQL Workbench?
Last updated: 2022-12-13
I want to connect to my Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) DB instance that's running MySQL. How can I use MySQL Workbench to do this?
Follow the steps below to connect MySQL Workbench to your Amazon RDS DB instance:
1. Download and install MySQL Workbench.
2. Open MySQL Workbench, and then choose the ⊕ sign beside MySQL Connections to set up a new connection.
3. In the Setup New Connection dialog box, enter a name for your connection.
4. In the Parameters section, enter these details:
Host name: Enter the RDS endpoint.
Port: Enter the Port number.
Username: Enter the primary user.
Note: You can get these details from the Amazon RDS console. From the Databases section, choose Instances, and then select the instance that you are connecting to. From the Connectivity and Security tab, choose Configuration. The primary user is listed here.
5. Choose Test Connection.
6. In the pop-up window that appears, enter the password that you configured when you created the DB instance, and then choose OK.
7. After testing your connection, from the Setup new connection dialog box, choose OK to save the connection.
If you receive an error when you test the connection, check that you configured the network correctly.