How do I create and activate a new AWS account?
Last updated: 2020-05-08
I'm getting started with AWS. How do I create and activate a new AWS account?
Create your account
- Open the Amazon Web Services home page.
- Choose Create an AWS Account.
Note: If you signed in to AWS recently, choose Sign in to the Console. If Create a new AWS account isn't visible, first choose Sign in to a different account, and then choose Create a new AWS account.
- Enter your account information, and then choose Continue. Be sure that you enter your account information correctly, especially your email address. If you enter your email address incorrectly, you can't access your account.
Important: For professional AWS accounts, it's a best practice to use a corporate email distribution list (that is, firstname.lastname@example.org) or email box as the email address. Avoid using an individual's corporate email address (that is, email@example.com). With this practice, your company can retain access to the AWS account even when an employee changes positions or leaves the company.
- Choose Personal or Professional.
Note: Personal accounts and professional accounts have the same features and functions.
- Enter your company or personal information.
Important: For professional AWS accounts, it's a best practice to enter the company phone number rather than a personal cell phone. Configuring a root account with an individual email address or a personal phone number can make your account insecure.
- Read and accept the AWS Customer Agreement.
Note: Be sure that you read and understand the terms of the AWS Customer Agreement.
- Choose Create Account and Continue.
You receive an email to confirm that your account is created. You can sign in to your new account using the email address and password you registered with. However, you can't use AWS services until you finish activating your account.
Add a payment method
On the Payment Information page, enter the information about your payment method, and then choose Verify and Add.
Note: If you want to use a different billing address for your AWS billing information, choose Use a new address before you choose Verify and Add.
Important: You cannot proceed with the sign up until you add a valid payment method.
Verify your phone number
- Choose your country or region code from the list.
- Enter a phone number where you can be reached in the next few minutes.
- Enter the code displayed in the captcha and submit.
- In a few moments, an automated system will contact you.
- Enter the PIN you received, and then choose Continue.
Choose an AWS Support plan
On the Select a Support Plan page, choose one of the available Support plans. For a description of the available Support plans and their benefits, see Compare AWS Support Plans.
Wait for account activation
After you choose a Support plan, a confirmation page indicates that your account is being activated. Accounts are usually activated within a few minutes, but the process might take up to 24 hours.
You can sign in to your AWS account during this time. The AWS home page might display a Complete Sign Up button during this time, even if you've completed all the steps in the sign-up process.
When your account is fully activated, you'll receive a confirmation email. After you receive this email, you have full access to all AWS services.
Troubleshooting delays in account activation
Account activation can sometimes be delayed. If the process takes more than 24 hours, check the following:
- Finish the account activation process. You might have accidentally closed the window for the sign-up process before you've added all the necessary information. To finish the sign-up process, open the registration page. Then, choose Sign in to an existing AWS account, and sign in using the email address and password you chose for the account.
- Check the information associated with your payment method. Check Payment Methods in the AWS Billing and Cost Management console. Fix any errors in the information.
- Contact your financial institution. Financial institutions occasionally reject authorization requests from AWS for various reasons. Contact your payment method's issuing institution and ask that they approve authorization requests from AWS.
Note: AWS cancels the authorization request as soon as it's approved by your financial institution. You aren't charged for authorization requests from AWS. Authorization requests might still appear as a small charge (usually 1 USD) on statements from your financial institution.
- Check your email for requests for additional information. Check your email to see if AWS needs any information from you to complete the activation process.
- Try a different browser.
- Contact AWS Support. Contact AWS Support for help. Be sure to mention any troubleshooting steps that you already tried.
Note: Don't provide sensitive information, such as credit card numbers, in any correspondence with AWS.
Improving the security of your AWS account
Use the following best practices to improve the security of your account:
- Use a corporate email address and company phone number as contact information for your account.
- Manage and control user access within your account with AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM).
- Enable multi-factor authentication (MFA) for your root account.
- Monitor and audit user activities using tools, such as Amazon Simple Notification Service (Amazon SNS) and AWS CloudTrail.
- Forecast and budget your costs using Cost Explorer, AWS Billing and Usage Reports, and AWS Budgets.