How do I delete an AWS access key?
Last updated: 2022-07-18
I want to delete my AWS access key.
Important: Be sure to check that the access key is no longer in use before you delete it. You can't recover an access key after you delete it. Any users or applications that are using the access key won't be able to programmatically access your account and resources after you delete the key.
To delete access keys for the AWS account root user, do the following:
- Sign in to the AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) console as the AWS account root user.
- Choose your account name on the navigation bar, and then choose Security credentials.
- If you see a warning about accessing the security credentials, choose Continue to security credentials.
- Expand the Access keys (access key ID and secret access key) section.
- Choose Delete next to the access key that you want to delete.
- In the confirmation box, choose Deactivate.
- To confirm deletion, enter the access key ID that you want to delete in the text input field.
- In the confirmation box, choose Delete.
For more information, see Programmatic access.
For instructions on deleting access keys for an AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) user, see Managing access keys.