How can I update the cross-realm trust principal password for an existing Amazon EMR cluster?
Last updated: 2020-03-04
I set up cross-realm trust with an Active Directory domain on a Kerberized Amazon EMR cluster. I need to change the principal password. How do I do that?
Amazon EMR creates a krbtgt principal using the cross-realm trust principal password that you specify at cluster launch. This principal is stored in the key distribution center (KDC) on the master node. It looks like this:
To update the cross-realm trust principal password:
2. Open the kadmin.local tool:
3. List all principals to find the principal that you want to update (for example, krbtgt/MYADDOMAIN.COM@MYEMRDOMAIN.COM):
4. Run the following command to update the password for the cross-realm trust principal. In the following example, replace krbtgt/MYADDOMAIN.COM@MYEMRDOMAIN.COM with your principal.
5. Exit the kadmin.local tool:
6. To confirm that the new password works, obtain a Kerberos ticket for an Active Directory user and then list HDFS files. Example:
kinit myaduser@MYADDOMAIN.COM hdfs dfs -ls /tmp