Where can I find SSH login credentials so that I can connect to my Lightsail instance from an SSH client?
Last updated: 2022-05-11
I want to connect to my Amazon Lightsail instance from an SSH client. Where can I find the required SSH login credentials?
To connect to your Lightsail instance using your own SSH client, you need the following:
- The Lightsail instance's IP address.
- The SSH user name.
- The SSH key pair configured on the instance.
1. Open the Lightsail console.
2. Select the Lightsail instance you want to connect to.
3. Select the Connect tab. In the Connect using your own SSH client section, note the IP address, user name, and key pair.
4. Connect to your Lightsail instance from the SSH client using the IP address, user name, and key pair you noted in step 3.
Note: If your local machine uses a Windows operating system, you can set up PuTTY to connect to your Linux or Unix Lightsail instance. For more information, see Download and set up PuTTY to connect using SSH in Amazon Lightsail.
If your local machine uses a Linux or Unix operating system, including macOS, then you can set up the native SSH client in terminal to connect to your Linux or Unix Lightsail instance. For more information, see Connect to your Linux or Unix instance using SSH in terminal.
Generally, SSH password authentication is deactivated. However, certain Lightsail instances might store automatically-generated application credentials in a password file on the file system. This password file can be viewed after connecting to the instance via SSH using the SSH KEY.