How do I resolve query timeout errors when I import data from Athena to QuickSight SPICE?
Last updated: 2022-07-12
Sometimes I encounter a query timeout error when I import data from Amazon Athena to Amazon QuickSight SPICE. How do I resolve the error?
You receive the following error:
[Simba][AthenaJDBC](100071) An error has been thrown from the AWS Athena client. Query timeout
Increase the query runtime for Amazon Athena
When you import data from Athena to QuickSight SPICE, you can receive query timeout errors due to the DML query reaching its maximum runtime.
To resolve this issue:
- Check your Athena query history to find the query that QuickSight generated.
- Note how long the query ran before it failed.
- If the amount of time is close to the maximum DML query timeout quota (in minutes), then increase the service quota.
For more information on AWS Service Quotas and requesting a quota increase, see AWS Service Quotas.
Reduce the amount of time to run the query from Athena
The following are steps that you can take in Athena to reduce the query runtime:
- Use partition projection to divide your table into parts and keep the related data together.
- Compress files, or split them if you can. For more information on supported compression formats, see Athena compression support.
- Optimize the size of your files.
- If you're importing an entire table, consider using a custom SQL query.