How do I view my email sending history in Amazon SES?
Last updated: 2021-07-23
I want to review my email sending history in Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES). How can I do that?
You can use Amazon OpenSearch Service (successor to Amazon Elasticsearch Service) and Amazon Kinesis to store and view your Amazon SES sending history.
Note: The guidance in this article uses the Amazon SES classic console.
Create an Amazon OpenSearch Service domain
Create an Amazon OpenSearch Service domain to store your Amazon SES sending history.
Note: For Network configuration, you must select Public access. You must use a public-access domain with the Kinesis delivery stream that you create in the next step.
Create a Kinesis delivery stream
- Open the Kinesis console.
- Choose Create delivery stream.
- For Delivery stream name, enter a name for your stream.
- For Source, select Direct PUT or other sources.
- Choose Next.
- For Process records, you can choose to transform source records with AWS Lambda. Or, leave all settings as Disabled, and then choose Next.
- On the Choose a destination page, enter the following:
For Destination, select Amazon OpenSearch Service.
For Domain, select the Amazon OpenSearch Service domain that you created to store your Amazon SES sending history.
For Index, enter an index name.
For Index rotation, choose a rotation schedule. Or, leave the field with the default No rotation setting.
For Type, enter a type name.
For Retry duration, modify the retry duration in seconds. Or, leave the field with the default 300 seconds.
- For S3 backup, enter the following:
For Backup mode, select Failed records only.
For Backup S3 bucket, choose to store the records in an existing bucket. Or, choose Create new to create a new bucket.
(Optional) For Backup S3 bucket prefix, enter a prefix. Or, leave this field blank.
- Choose Next.
- For OpenSearch Service buffer conditions, Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) compression and encryption, Error logging, Tags, and Permissions, configure the settings for your use case. For more information on these fields, see Configure settings.
- Review the configuration details of your delivery stream, and then choose Create delivery stream.
Create an Amazon SES configuration set
- Open the Amazon SES console, and then choose Configuration Sets from the navigation pane.
- Choose Create Configuration Set.
- For Configuration Set Name, enter a name for the set. Then, choose Create Configuration Set.
- Choose Close.
- Choose the hyperlinked Configuration Set Name for the new configuration set.
- For Add Destination, select Firehose.
- In the Firehose Destination dialog box, enter the following:
For Name, enter a name for the destination.
For Event types, select Send, Reject, Delivery, Bounce, and Complaint.
For Stream, select the delivery stream that you created.
For IAM role, select Let SES make a new role. Enter a name for the role, and then choose Create Role.
- Modify your email-sending method to specify the configuration set.
Test your configuration
- Send a test email using the Amazon SES console.
Important: To see the results of the test email, you must specify the configuration set that you created. For Email Format, select Formatted, and then choose More Options. For Configuration Set, enter the name of the configuration set.
- Open the Amazon OpenSearch Service console.
- Choose the domain that you created for storing your Amazon SES sending history.
- In the Overview tab, choose the link next to OpenSearch dashboard.
- Create an index pattern for the index name that you configured when you created the delivery stream. For instructions, see Create an index pattern on the elastic.co website.
- After the index pattern is created, use the Discover feature in OpenSearch dashboard to view the log of the test email that you sent. For more information, see Discover on the elastic.co website.