How can I remove email addresses that are on an Amazon SES suppression list?
Last updated: 2020-04-23
How can I remove email addresses that are on the Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES) global suppression list or an account-level suppression list? Can I automatically remove email addresses from an Amazon SES suppression list?
Removal from account-level suppression list
Sending a message to an email address can sometimes result in hard bounces, complaints, or both. To avoid this, you can configure an account-level suppression list to add that email address. An account-level suppression list applies to an AWS account in a specific AWS Region.
The automatic removal of email addresses from account-level suppression lists is not recommended. Instead, it's a best practice to first validate the email address and the associated bounces or complaints. Then, if you determine that the email address should receive messages, remove the email address from the suppression list.
To remove an email address from an account-level suppression list, follow these steps:
2. Run the delete-suppressed-destination command on the email address that you want to remove from the email list.
On macOS or a Linux operating system, run:
$aws sesv2 delete-suppressed-destination \ --email-address email@example.com
On a Windows operating system, run:
$aws sesv2 delete-suppressed-destination ` --email-address firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: If your Amazon SES account's ability to send email is paused, then Amazon SES deletes the addresses in your account-level suppression list after 90 days. If your account's ability to send email is restored within 90 days, then your account-level suppression list retains the addresses.
For more information on using an account-level suppression list, see Account-Level Suppression List Considerations.
Removal from the global suppression list
Amazon SES adds an email address to the global suppression list when any Amazon SES message to the address results in a hard bounce. The global suppression list is enabled by default for all accounts.
Amazon SES automatically removes email addresses from the global suppression list after 14 days. If you determine that an email address on the global suppression list should receive messages, you can manually remove the email address from the list by following these steps:
1. Open the Amazon SES console.
2. On the navigation bar, review the Region selector and confirm that you're in US East (N. Virginia), US West (Oregon), or Europe (Ireland). You can modify the global suppression list from any of these three Regions, but not from any other Region.
3. From the navigation pane, choose Suppression List Removal.
4. For Email Address, enter the email address that you want to remove from the global suppression list.
5. For Type characters, enter the characters that you see in the image.
6. Choose Submit.
For more information on using the global suppression list, see Global Suppression List Considerations.