My Amazon SES sending account is under review or its ability to send email is paused. How can I fix this?
Last updated: 2020-06-18
I received an email that my Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES) sending account is under review. Or, my Amazon SES sending account's ability to send email is paused. Why is this happening? How can I fix this?
If your sending account is under review, you can still send emails through Amazon SES, but you must resolve the issue that led to the review. Additionally, you must implement measures to prevent the issue from occurring again. Issues that might lead to an account review include:
- A bounce rate of 5% or greater
- A complaint rate of 0.1% or greater
- Problems detected by a manual investigation of the account
If your account's ability to send email is paused, you can't use Amazon SES to send emails until you resolve the problem with the account. Because your Amazon SES account uses a set of IP addresses that are shared with other users, Amazon SES might pause your account's ability to send additional emails to protect the reputation of the shared IP addresses. Issues that might lead to a sending pause include:
- The Amazon SES account was already placed under review and the issue wasn't corrected before the end of the review period.
- A bounce rate of 10% or greater
- A complaint rate is 0.5% or greater
- The account was placed under review several times for the same issue.
- Emails sent from the account violated AWS Service Terms.
Important: An Amazon SES sending pause doesn't impact other AWS services in your AWS account. However, service quota increases for any AWS service that sends outbound communications, such as Amazon Simple Notification Service (Amazon SNS), might be denied until the sending pause is lifted.
If Amazon SES is reviewing your sending account or has paused your account's sending ability, you must:
- Identify the problem.
- Request a new review and respond to follow-up questions from the Amazon SES team.
Identify the problem
Read the email from the Amazon SES team that summarizes the problems that led to the review or pause on your sending account. The issues that can lead to a review or pause on your account include bounces, complaints, and spamtraps.
Review these guidelines to minimize the risk of bounces, complaints, or spamtraps:
- What can I do to minimize bounces?
- What can I do to minimize complaints?
- What can I do to avoid sending to spamtraps?
Request a new review and respond to follow-up questions from the Amazon SES team
After you identify the problems with your sending account and take steps to fix them, you can request a new review from the Amazon SES team.
To request a new review on your sending account, open the AWS Support Center. Then, reply to the case that Amazon SES opened on your behalf. In your reply, include your responses to these items:
- A list of changes that you made to fix the problem
- An explanation of how these changes will prevent the problem from happening again
After the Amazon SES team receives your request for a new review, they decide whether to uphold or remove the review or pause on your sending account. If your new review is unsuccessful, the Amazon SES team contacts you with follow-up questions. Be sure to respond to the Amazon SES team with the requested follow-up information.