What do I do when I receive my AWS Snowball or Snowball Edge device?
Last updated: 2020-02-20
I've received my AWS Snowball or Snowball Edge device. How do I get started?
1. After you receive your Snowball or Snowball Edge device, check the following:
- Check the device for any damage or tampering. If there is damage or apparent tampering, don't connect to the device. Instead, open a case to AWS Support to describe the issue so that you can be shipped a new device.
- Confirm that you have the following device accessories:
Snowball: Return invoice, power cable, RJ45 cable, SFP+ copper cable, and 10Gbase-SR transceiver
Snowball Edge: Return invoice and power cables
2. Turn on the device. Then, depending on your device, use one of the following tutorials to transfer data:
- How can I transfer my data to my standard Snowball device (50 TB or 80 TB of storage)?
- How can I transfer my data to my AWS Snowball Edge device?
3. After you finish transferring your data, complete the steps to prepare the device for shipping back to AWS. Then, depending on your device, follow these instructions to ship the device: