What does this AWS Solution do?
This solution automates the process of ingesting, analyzing, and visualizing continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) metrics. These metrics are displayed in Amazon QuickSight dashboards to help DevOps leaders measure the impact of their DevOps initiatives and make data-driven decisions to drive continuous improvement in their development teams.
Provide a secure one-click deployment using an AWS CloudFormation template developed with the AWS Well-Architected Framework methodologies.
Automate ingestion and analysis of streaming data containing performance and operational metrics in your CI/CD pipeline in near real-time. Calculate key DevOps metrics to track andmeasure the activities of your development teams.
Automate the launch of pre-built Amazon QuickSight dashboards to visualize the solution's analyses. Identify insights into your CI/CD activities to better understand your DevOps initiatives and make data-driven decisions to drive continuous improvement in your software delivery process.
You can customize this solution to use third-party business intelligence (BI) tools so you can build customized visualizations from the Amazon Athena database.
AWS Solution overview
The diagram below presents the architecture you can automatically deploy using the solution's implementation guide and accompanying AWS CloudFormation template.
DevOps Monitoring Dashboard on AWS Solution architecture
This solution runs the following workflow:
1. A developer initiates an activity in an AWS CI/CD pipeline, such as pushing a code change to AWS CodeCommit or deploying an application using AWS CodeDeploy. These activities create events. For development using GitHub repository, git push events are generated.
2. An Amazon EventBridge events rule detects the events based on predefined event patterns and then sends the event data to an Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose delivery stream. One event rule is created per event source. For activities in AWS CodeBuild, a CloudWatch metric stream is set up to capture CloudWatch metrics and deliver them to a Kinesis Data Firehose delivery stream. For GitHub push events, an Amazon API endpoint is created to post these events and deliver them to a Kinesis Data Firehose delivery stream.
3. An Amazon EventBridge events rule is also created to capture events from an Amazon CloudWatch alarm that monitors the status of an Amazon CloudWatch synthetics canary, if you have set up the canary and alarm in your account. This alarm is needed to gather data for calculating Mean Time to Recovery (MTTR) metrics.
4. Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose uses an AWS Lambda function for data transformation. The Lambda function extracts relevant data to each metric and sends it to an Amazon S3 bucket for downstream processing.
6. Amazon QuickSight obtains the query results and builds dashboard visualizations for your management team.
“Mphasis is a leading applied technology services company which enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation journey. By using DevOps Monitoring Dashboard alongside other AWS solutions, we were able to decrease time between ideation and deployment by 30%. We’re able to automate the setup process of collecting and visualizing our DevOps operational metrics which has allowed us to easily make smarter decisions and pinpoint where improvements can be made across our deployment teams.”
Browse our library of AWS Solutions Implementations to get answers to common architectural problems.
Find AWS certified consulting and technology partners to help you get started.
Browse our portfolio of Consulting Offers to get AWS-vetted help with solution deployment.