This Quick Start automatically deploys an SAP NetWeaver Application Server (AS) environment for Advanced Business Application Programming (ABAP) on the AWS Cloud.
SAP NetWeaver provides a set of technologies for developing and running SAP applications. SAP products and applications such as SAP Business Suite, S/4HANA, SAP Business Warehouse (SAP BW), and SAP BW/4HANA rely on SAP NetWeaver. This Quick Start deploys SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP, which supports the development of ABAP-based applications for SAP HANA databases.
The Quick Start deploys an SAP application tier, an SAP HANA database tier, and Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) and bastion hosts within a virtual private cloud (VPC) in your AWS account. The deployment includes a Primary Application Server (PAS) instance that provides SAP system utilities, and optional Additional Application Server (AAS) instances to scale out the SAP application tier.
This Quick Start was developed by
AWS solutions architects.
What you'll build
How to deploy
Cost and licenses
What you'll build
Use this Quick Start to deploy and configure the following in your AWS account:
- A highly available architecture that spans two Availability Zones.*
- A virtual private cloud (VPC) configured with public and private subnets according to AWS best practices. This provides the network infrastructure for your deployment.*
- An internet gateway to allow access to the internet.*
- In the public subnets:
- Bastion host instances in an Auto Scaling group to allow inbound SSH (Secure Shell) access to the SAP instances in the private subnets.*
- Managed network address translation (NAT) gateways to allow outbound internet access for the SAP instances in the private subnets.*
- An optional EC2 instance with Windows Server to host SAPGUI and SAP HANA Studio. You can install these SAP programs manually to administer your SAP HANA database.
- In the private subnets:
- EC2 instances to host SAP NetWeaver and SAP HANA, and EBS volumes configured to meet or exceed SAP HANA storage key performance indicators (KPIs).
- An optional setup of an Amazon Elastic File System (Amazon EFS) share for the /sapmnt file system.
- An optional automated installation of SAP NetWeaver ABAP and SAP HANA.
- Primary Application Server (PAS) and ABAP System Central Services (ASCS) deployed into the same or separate EC2 instances.
- An optional ASCS instance installed in a different Availability Zone, to act as a warm standby ASCS server.
- An optional automated installation of Additional Application Server (AAS) instances.
- An AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) instance role with fine-grained permissions for access to the AWS services necessary for the deployment process.
- Three security groups for fine-grained inbound access control from the bastion host, between the database instances, and for application access to the database.
- AWS Command Line Interface (AWS CLI) and an instance role for installation bucket access.
- An Amazon Route 53 private hosted zone to host the SAP HANA and SAP NetWeaver ABAP server names.
This Quick Start supports the SLES operating system for the SAP NetWeaver instances. SAP HANA is supported with your choice of Linux operating systems (SLES, SLES for SAP, or RHEL for SAP HANA).
* The template that deploys the Quick Start into an existing VPC skips the components marked by asterisks and prompts you for your existing VPC configuration.
How to deploy
To build your SAP NetWeaver environment on AWS, follow the instructions in the deployment guide. The deployment process includes these steps:
- If you don't already have an AWS account, sign up at https://aws.amazon.com.
- Take care of prerequisites for the SAP HANA portion of the deployment.
- Download, extract, and stage the SAP NetWeaver software.
- Launch the Quick Start. Each deployment takes about 2.75 hours. You can choose from two options:
- Verify the deployment by accessing SAP NetWeaver and SAP HANA.
To customize your deployment, you can configure your AWS infrastructure, enable logging with AWS CloudTrail and AWS Config, and configure SAP NetWeaver and SAP HANA settings such as instance types, storage options, number of nodes, and AAS instances.
Amazon may share user-deployment information with the AWS Partner that collaborated with AWS on the Quick Start.
Cost and licenses
You are responsible for the cost of the AWS services used while running this Quick Start reference deployment. There is no additional cost for using the Quick Start.
The AWS CloudFormation template for this Quick Start includes configuration parameters that you can customize. Some of these settings, such as number of nodes, storage, and instance type, will affect the cost of deployment.
This deployment uses a Bring Your Own License (BYOL) model for SAP software. You must already own licenses for SAP, and you must be authorized to download software from the SAP Software Download Center (SWDC).
For the SAP NetWeaver deployment, this Quick Start launches the Amazon Machine Image (AMI) for SLES, which includes the license for the SLES operating system.
For the SAP HANA deployment, the Quick Start launches the AMI for the operating system you choose (SLES, SLES for SAP, or RHEL) and the license cost for the operating system is included in the Amazon EC2 hourly price. There is an additional software cost for SLES for SAP AMIs.