What do I do if I get the "Maximum sending rate exceeded" or "Daily sending quota exceeded" error message from Amazon SES?
Last updated: 2022-08-11
What do I do if I get the "Maximum sending rate exceeded" or "Daily sending quota exceeded" error message from Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES)?
If you exceed the maximum sending quota per day or per second, Amazon SES returns the "Maximum sending rate exceeded" or "Daily sending quota exceeded" error message. To address this error message:
- Use the Amazon SES console to review your account's current sending quotas.
- Review your sending application and requirements to see if you can stay within the quotas by downscaling or implementing an exponential backoff mechanism.
Note: If you receive a "Maximum sending rate exceeded" error, you can retry your request.
- If you determine that your current sending quotas don't meet your sending requirements, you can do one of the following:
Move out of the Amazon SES sandbox
In the sandbox, your account has the following sending quotas:
- You can send a maximum of 200 messages per day.
- You can send a maximum of one message per second.
Note: If your account is in the Amazon SES sandbox, then you can send messages only to and from verified email addresses.
To request to move your account out of the sandbox, open a support case. In the same support case, you can also include a request to increase your sending quota by filling out the Requests section.
Request an increase in your sending quota
If your account is in production mode (not sandbox), you can monitor your quota usage and request a sending quota increase when you need it. To request an increase in your sending quota, open a support case and complete the fields in the Requests section.
Note the following important considerations when requesting an increase in your sending quota:
- If your Amazon SES account is in production mode and you're sending high-quality emails, you might qualify for an automatic increase in your sending quota.
- When you request a new sending quota, be sure to request only the amount that you need. Your requested quota increase isn't guaranteed.
- Your sending quota increase can be denied if your Amazon SES account is under review.