How do I prevent "ThrottlingException" or "Rate exceeded" errors when I use AWS Systems Manager Parameter Store?
Last updated: 2021-03-12
When I use AWS Systems Manager Parameter Store, I receive a "ThrottlingException" error message indicating "Rate exceeded" similar to one of the following:
- An error occurred (ThrottlingException) when calling the GetParameters operation (reached max retries: 4): Rate exceeded
- An error occurred (ThrottlingException) when calling the GetParameter operation (reached max retries: 4): Rate exceeded
- An error occurred (ThrottlingException) when calling the GetParametersByPath operation (reached max retries: 4): Rate exceeded
- An error occurred (ThrottlingException) when calling the DescribeParameters operation (reached max retries: 2): Rate exceeded
Why am I receiving "Rate exceeded" errors, and how can I resolve the issue?
Parameter Store API calls can't exceed the maximum allowed API request rate per account and per Region. This includes API calls from both the AWS Command Line Interface (AWS CLI) and the AWS Management Console. If API requests exceed the maximum rate, then you receive a "Rate exceeded" error, and further API calls are throttled.
Parameter Store requests are throttled for each Amazon Web Services (AWS) account on a per-Region basis to help service performance. For more information about Parameter Store API maximum throughput quotas, see AWS Systems Manager endpoints and quotas.
To prevent or mitigate "ThrottlingException" or "Rate exceeded" errors, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Reduce the frequency of the API calls.
- Stagger the intervals of the API calls so that they don’t all run at the same time.
- Use APIs that return more than one value. For example, GetParameters and GetParametersByPath support the call of 10 parameters with one API call.
- Implement error retries and exponential backoff when you make API calls.
- Increase Parameter Store throughput. Important: Increasing throughput incurs a charge on your AWS account. For more information, see AWS Systems Manager pricing.
Note: You can increase throughput using the AWS Systems Manager console, the AWS CLI, or AWS Tools for Windows PowerShell. If you receive errors when running AWS CLI commands, make sure that you’re using the most recent version of the AWS CLI.
Request a service quota increase
If you’ve tried all the above troubleshooting steps but still receive "Rate exceeded" errors, then you can request a service quota increase.
Note: Before submitting a request, identify the API call and call rate.
To request a service quota increase for Parameter Store, follow these steps:
- Open the AWS Support Center, and then choose Create case.
- Choose Service limit increase.
- For Limit type, choose EC2 Systems Manager.
- For Region, choose your AWS Region.
- For Resource Type, choose Parameter Store.
- Choose the Limit that you want to increase, and then enter the new limit value.
- In the Use case description text box, include the time frame related to the throttling issue and the reason for the quota increase request.
- Choose your preferred contact options, and then choose Submit.