Eligible Microsoft Windows Server Applications can be deployed on AWS using existing application licenses. This allows customers to more easily move their workloads to the Amazon Web Services cloud, without any additional Microsoft software licensing fees. This benefit is available to Microsoft Volume Licensing (VL) customers with eligible server applications covered by active Microsoft Software Assurance (SA) contracts. Not only will license mobility make the transition easier for existing SA customers, it provides customers who prefer to purchase perpetual licenses the ability to continue doing so while still taking advantage of the efficiencies of the cloud.
All customers using License Mobility through Software Assurance must complete a license verification process and Microsoft will ensure that the customer has eligible licenses with active Software Assurance. To start the verification process and review additional details, go to: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/license-mobility.aspx.
For guidance on filling out the form please go to the Microsoft License Mobility through Software Assurance Customer Verification Guide. Please use: firstname.lastname@example.org as the Service Provider email address as required by the form.
Microsoft will provide confirmation to the customer and to the service provider that the customer has completed this verification process. The customer may deploy their application server software prior to the verification process being completed; the customer is responsible for managing true ups and renewals as required under their agreement.
To take advantage of this benefit, the following conditions must apply:
1. All Microsoft Server application products migrated to AWS via the License Mobility through Software Assurance program must be covered with active Software Assurance (SA).
2. The server applications must be on the list of eligible products. The list includes:
• MS Exchange Server
• SharePoint Server
• SQL Server Standard Edition
• SQL Server Enterprise Edition
• Lync Server
• System Center Server
• Dynamics CRM Server
• Dynamics AX Server
• MS Project Server
• Visual Studio Deployment
• Visual Studio Team Foundation Server
• BizTalk Server
• Forefront Identity Manager
• Forefront Unified Access Gateway
To view a full list of eligible server application products, see the ‘Software Assurance Benefits’ section in the Microsoft Product Use Rights (PUR) at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx
This section of the PUR also contains additional restrictions that apply to customers’ participation in the License Mobility through Software Assurance program.
For more detail on Microsoft License Mobility for SQL Server, go to:
3. Eligible Volume Licensing programs include the Enterprise Agreement, Enterprise Subscription Agreement, and Microsoft Open Value Agreement, where Software Assurance is included, and other Volume Licensing programs where Software Assurance is an option, such as Microsoft Open License or Select Plus.
4. The customer must maintain appropriate Client Access Licenses (CALs) with Software Assurance in their Volume Licensing agreement for accessing the application servers.
5. Does not include the Microsoft Windows Client operating system, Desktop application products (e.g. Microsoft Office), and Microsoft Windows Server operating system. AWS customers will need to continue to run their applications through Windows-based instances on Amazon EC2).
6. In order to comply with Microsoft’s “server farm” rules, licenses deployed in a specific AWS Region cannot be moved to another AWS Region for 90 days. For more information, please refer to the Microsoft Product Use Rights (PUR) at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx
Are you interested in running Microsoft Windows Server or Windows Server applications, such as SQL or SharePoint on AWS, and would like to have an AWS Sales Representative follow-up with you about your IT project? Please Contact Us.
©2014 Amazon Web Services, Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. All other trademarks not owned by AWS that appear on this Site are the property of Microsoft.