Why can't I join an organization in AWS Organizations?
Last updated: 2020-12-18
I can't join a particular organization in AWS Organizations. Why is that, and what can I do to fix it?
Here are some reasons why you might not be able to join an organization:
- You're already a member account of a different organization. Remove your account from its current organization, and then try again.
- You're already the management account of a different organization. If you try to link your account to a management account, but you've already created an organization with your account as the management account, then you receive an error. To join an organization as a member account, you must convert your account from a management account to a standalone account. For more information, see remove all member accounts from your organization and delete the organization.
- Your account isn't verified and activated. Be sure that you fully complete the account sign-up and activation process. Some services can take up to 48 hours to fully activate after the account sign-up process is completed. For more information, see How do I create and activate a new AWS account?
- You didn't accept the invitation to the organization, or the organization didn't send you one. Be sure to accept the invitation in the Organizations console. You might need to wait a few minutes before the Organizations console or Billing and Cost Management console reflect that you're a member of the organization. If you didn't receive an invitation, ask the administrator of the management account to send you a new invitation.
- Your account has a different seller of record than the management account of the organization that you're trying to join. See Why do I receive the error "You can only join an organization whose Seller of Record is same as your account" when I'm trying to join an organization?