How do I launch an Amazon EC2 Windows instance that's covered under the AWS Free Tier?
Last updated: 2020-11-23
I want to launch an Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) Windows instance, and I want to make sure that all charges related to that instance are covered by the AWS Free Tier.
The AWS Free Tier covers 750 cumulative hours of usage and 30 GB-months of storage per month.
To launch a Windows EC2 instance that's covered by the AWS Free Tier, do the following:
- Open the Amazon EC2 console.
- In the Launch Instance section, choose Launch Instance.
- In the navigation pane, select Free Tier only to limit the Amazon Machine Images (AMIs) to Free Tier eligible AMIs (labeled "Free tier eligible").
- Choose Select next to a Windows AMI that's labeled "Free tier eligible."
- Select an instance type that's labeled "Free tier eligible."
- Choose Next: Configure Instance Details.
- On the Configure Instance Details page, be sure that Instance Tenancy is set to Shared, and that Request Spot instances isn't selected. All other settings don't affect whether the instance's usage is covered by the Free Tier. You can configure other settings on this page as needed.
- Choose Next: Add Storage.
- Choose up to 30 GB of storage. Under Storage Type, choose either General Purpose SSD (GP2) or Magnetic.
Note: Currently, only 30 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS) storage per account is covered under the Free Tier. Consider any storage that you allocated to other instances on your account when adding storage to your instance.
- Choose Next: Add Tags.
- Optionally, you can add a tag to your instance.
- Choose Next: Configure Security Group.
- Configure a security group that allows only trusted traffic in and out. For more information about configuring security groups, see Amazon EC2 security groups for Windows instances.
- Choose Review and Launch.
- Review your configuration. If it matches your specifications, choose Launch.