How do I reset the password for an Amazon WorkSpaces user?
Last updated: 2021-02-09
I need to reset the password for an Amazon WorkSpaces user. How can I do that?
You can reset the password for most Amazon WorkSpaces users that reside in an AWS Directory Service for Microsoft Active Directory or Simple AD directory. For a list of exceptions, see Reset a user password.
To reset a password, use any of the following methods:
Reset a forgotten password using the Amazon WorkSpaces client
- From the Amazon WorkSpaces client log-in window, choose Forgot Password?
- Enter the user name, and then choose Recover Password.
- Choose Return to Login Page.
- When you receive the Password Reset Request email, choose the Reset Password hyperlink.
- Enter the new password, confirm the new password, and then choose Reset Password.
Note: If you don’t receive the Password Reset Request email after a few minutes, use one of the other password reset methods described below.
Change or reset a password while connected to the Amazon WorkSpaces client
If you are connected to a WorkSpace, follow these steps to change or reset the password:
- From the Amazon WorkSpaces client menu bar, choose View, and then choose Send Ctrl + Alt + Delete.
- Choose Change a password.
- Enter the old password, new password, and then confirm the new password.
- Choose the arrow next to the Confirm password field.
- Choose Ok.
Reset a user password using the AWS Management Console, Windows PowerShell, or the AWS Command Line Interface (AWS CLI)
For instructions to reset a user password using the AWS Directory Service console, Windows PowerShell, or the AWS CLI, see Reset a user password.
Important: To reset a user password using the AWS CLI, note the following:
Reset a user password using Active Directory Administration Tools
You can launch an Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instance, and then join the instance to your AWS Managed Microsoft AD. After you join the instance, use the instance as a directory management server.
Note: You must have directory administrator account credentials to follow this process.
- From the Amazon EC2 console, launch an EC2 Windows instance in the same Region as your directory service. Then, install the Active Directory Administration Tools. For instructions, see Set up Active Directory Administration Tools for Amazon WorkSpaces.
Note: You can launch an EC2 Windows instance using an AWS Free Tier eligible Windows AMI.
- Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
- Expand your domain, expand the WorkSpaces organizational unit (OU), and then choose the Users folder.
- Identify the WorkSpaces user. Open the context (right-click) menu for the user, and then choose Reset Password.