How do I get more CPU and memory for my EC2 Windows instance?
Last updated: 2021-02-03
I want to change or add something to my Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instance, such as:
- Number of CPU cores
- Amount of RAM
- Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS) optimization
- Enhanced networking
- GPU cores
How do I change the specifications of my instance?
Be aware of the following before resizing your EC2 Windows instance:
- If you launch instances from Amazon Machine Images (AMIs), whether they are custom Windows AMIs or are Amazon-provided Windows AMIs created before August, 2018, install the required drivers for the destination instance type. Status checks fail if the instance doesn't have the required drivers.
- Verify that your current instance type is compatible with the new instance type that you choose.
- If this instance has an instance store volume, the volume isn't attached to the new instance type. Any data on the volume is lost when the instance is stopped. Be sure to back up the data on your instance before you stop the instance.
- If you're not using an Elastic IP Address, the public IP address is released when you stop the instance.
- It's a best practice to maintain backups of your instances and data. Consider creating an AMI or creating snapshots of your EBS volumes before you change your infrastructure.
- If your instance is part of an Auto Scaling group, change the launch configuration to launch the new instance type. On the Copy Launch Configuration page, choose the new instance type.