How do I remove the restriction on port 25 from my Lightsail instance?
Last updated: 2021-09-30
I'm having trouble sending email over port 25 from my Amazon Lightsail instance.
By default, AWS blocks outbound traffic on port 25 on all Lightsail instances. To send outbound traffic on port 25, request that this restriction be removed.
To request that AWS remove the port 25 restriction on your Lightsail instance, do the following:
- Sign in to the Amazon Lightsail console as the AWS account root user.
- Open the Request to remove email sending limitations form.
- Enter your email address.
- Provide the required information in the Use case description field:
A clear and detailed use case for sending email from your Lightsail instance.
A statement outlining your plan to confirm that your account isn't implicated in sending unwanted emails.
Confirmation that the request is for the Lightsail instance. You can also provide the Lightsail instance name.
The Region where your Lightsail instance is hosted.
- (Optional) In the Elastic IP address field, provide the AWS owned Elastic IP addresses that you use to send outbound emails.
- (Optional) In the Reverse DNS record field, enter any reverse DNS (rDNS) records that AWS must associate with the Elastic IP addresses. When you send emails, it's a best practice to set up an rDNS record to help prevent outbound emails from being flagged as spam. Make sure to link the rDNS record to your static IP address using a DNS A record. For example, if mail.example.com is the rDNS record that you're setting, be sure that you create an A record for mail.example.com that points to the Static IP address. This is the domain that is returned when the reverse DNS lookup is performed.
- Choose Submit.
Note: If you have instances in more than one Region, then submit a separate request for each Region.
You receive an email with the Request ID after submitting the request form. It might take up to 48 hours to process your request. If your request is approved, you receive an email to notify you that the port 25 restriction is removed. If you don't receive an update within 48 hours after submitting the request, then reply to the initial email that you received.