Why am I not getting Amazon SES bounce notifications from Amazon SNS?
Last updated: 2020-04-24
I enabled Amazon Simple Notification Service (Amazon SNS) notifications for whenever email that I send using Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES) results in a bounce. However, I'm not getting bounce notifications from Amazon SNS. How can I troubleshoot this?
Check the following:
- Verify that your Amazon SNS topic is in the same AWS Region as your Amazon SES identity (domain or email address). The topic and the identity must be in the same Region for bounce notifications to work.
- If you set up Amazon SNS notifications for a verified Amazon SES domain, then check whether there are email addresses within the domain that were verified as separate identities. SNS notifications apply to an individual verified Amazon SES identity in your account. If you have bounce notifications configured for a verified domain, but there are email addresses within the domain that are verified separately, then you don't receive bounce notifications for the separately verified email addresses.
- In addition to creating the SNS topic, confirm that you also subscribed an endpoint to the topic to receive notifications.
- If you subscribed an email address to the SNS topic, then you received an email from Amazon SNS asking you to confirm the subscription. Check your email for this message, and then confirm the subscription.
- If the SNS topic is using AWS Key Management Service (AWS KMS) encryption, then you must confirm that Amazon SES has permissions to the encryption key that the SNS topic is using.
Important: Use the Amazon SES mailbox simulator email address to test or troubleshoot event notifications, because these addresses are designed for testing. Bounces from the bounce mailbox simulator address aren't counted in your account's metrics.