How do I resolve "EC2 is out of capacity" or "The requested number of instances exceeds your EC2 quota" errors in Amazon EMR?
Last updated: 2022-09-19
My Amazon EMR cluster fails to launch, and I get one of these error messages:
- "EC2 is out of capacity"
- "The requested number of instances exceeds your EC2 quota"
"EC2 is out of capacity"
This error means that AWS doesn't have enough available On-Demand Instance capacity to create the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instances that you specified for the EMR cluster. To resolve the issue, try the following:
- Specify a different instance type for the EMR cluster. A different instance type might have more available capacity.
- Launch your cluster in a different Availability Zone. Each Availability Zone has its own capacity.
- Wait a few minutes, and then try to launch the EMR cluster again. Capacity shifts frequently.
"The requested number of instances exceeds your EC2 quota"
This error means that the number of instances that you specified for the EMR cluster exceeds a service quota. To view your Amazon EC2 service quotas, open the Amazon EC2 console and then choose Limits from the navigation pane. Keep the following in mind:
- Amazon EC2 service quotas are unique to each Region.
- Only running instances count toward your service quotas.
- In addition to the limit on the total number of running instances, each instance type has its own limit. For example, you might be limited to 10 running a1.4xlarge instances and 20 total running instances in US East (N. Virginia).
If you need more Amazon EC2 resources, request a service quota increase. Requests are subject to review by AWS engineering teams.