How do I purchase an Amazon EC2 Reserved Instance that reserves capacity in a specific Availability Zone?
Last updated: 2020-12-21
I want to make sure that an instance type in a particular Availability Zone is available when I need it. How do I purchase an Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) Reserved Instance that does that?
By default, newly purchased Reserved Instances don't reserve capacity.
To purchase a Reserved Instance that reserves capacity for a specific Availability Zone, do the following:
- Open the Amazon EC2 console.
- Choose Reserved Instances from the navigation pane.
- Choose Purchase Reserved Instances.
- In the purchasing menu, select Only show offerings that reserve capacity.
- Choose the desired instance characteristics from the dropdown list.
- Choose Search.
A column for Availability Zone appears in the search results. These Reserved Instances reserve the capacity for your use in that Availability Zone.