How do I change the volume size or compute type of a WorkSpace?
Last updated: 2021-01-25
I want to change the volume size or compute type of my WorkSpace in Amazon WorkSpaces. How can I do this?
To change the WorkSpace volume size or compute type, see Modify a WorkSpace.
After you modify a WorkSpace using the Amazon WorkSpaces console, you receive the message "modification of your WorkSpace was successfully initiated". The WorkSpace reboots after you request the change. To verify that the volume size or compute type is changed, choose Refresh Data. Expect a delay of 10-15 minutes for a volume size change to become visible.
Note the following timelines and restrictions when changing the volume size or compute type:
- Review the sizing requirements for changing the volume size.
- You can request a WorkSpace bundle type increase once every hour, or decrease once every 30 days.
- You can request a volume increase once every six hours.
- You can't decrease the size of root and user volumes after the WorkSpace is launched.
- You can't modify both the root and user volume simultaneously. To modify both, first follow the above process for the root volume, and then repeat the process for the user volume.
- WorkSpaces created earlier than December 2016 do not support resize operations. Rebuild the WorkSpace to change the volume type to SSD, and then resize the WorkSpace storage.