Posted On: Feb 22, 2016
You can now launch MySQL 5.7 instances on Amazon RDS. MySQL 5.7 is the latest major version release and offers a number of enhancements for better performance, scalability, and security. Some of the key new features in MySQL 5.7 are:
- Native support for JSON data type and built-in JSON functions to efficiently store, search, and update documents.
- Performance Schema for new and improved performance metrics with the new SYS Schema.
- Optimizer improvements for better EXPLAINing, parsing, and query performance.
- GIS with native InnoDB spatial indexes and Boost.Geometry integration.
- Improved parallel replication using logical clock mode.
- Improved InnoDB scalability and temporary table performance, improved tablespace discovery during crash recovery, and dynamic buffer pool resizing.
Amazon RDS for MySQL 5.7 is available in US East (Northern Virginia), US West (Northern California), US West (Oregon), Europe (Ireland), Europe (Frankfurt), Asia Pacific (Singapore), Asia Pacific (Sydney), Asia Pacific (Tokyo), Asia Pacific (Seoul), China (Beijing), South America (Sao Paulo), and GovCloud (US) regions.
To learn more about Amazon RDS for MySQL 5.7, please refer to the RDS documentation.