Semiconductor and Electronics
Speed innovation, optimize production, and deliver cutting-edge products and services with AWS Cloud
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a secure, agile, and scalable platform with a comprehensive set of services and solutions for high performance design, verification, and smart manufacturing, supporting electronic design automation (EDA) and rapid semiconductor innovation in the cloud. Semiconductor companies, including fabless and integrated device manufacturers, and their IP and foundry partners can benefit from the massive scale of AWS infrastructure to design next gen connected products.
Semiconductor design simulation, verification, lithography, metrology, yield analysis, and many other workloads benefit from the scalability and performance of the AWS Cloud. For example, compute performance for these applications is enhanced by latest generation EC2 instance types, including the z1d. Run more jobs per core with z1d, the fastest single thread performance of any cloud instance, delivering 4GHz sustained CPU, 16 GiB RAM per core, and local NVMe storage. Our virtually unlimited cloud storage and high performance computing (HPC) capability enable you to innovate faster, rapidly design and verify new products, and scale seamlessly to meet increasing demand.
For all aspects of semiconductor design and manufacturing, the AWS Cloud helps you optimize process and increase yields. Industrial IoT, data lake, analytics, and machine learning solutions allow you to develop smart factories and products, provide insights to increase your operational efficiency, and accelerate your pace of innovation.
Explore semiconductor design and manufacturing processes in the cloud
The Industrial Internet of Things and Industry 4.0 promises the next revolution for semiconductor manufacturing. Learn how AWS Cloud helps manufacturers digitally transform to improve business operations.
Product Design and Verification
Secure, High performance and scalable EDA allows product developers and engineers to solve complex simulation and verification problems using large-scale, parallel processing. AWS helps you:
- Deploy all or part of your EDA workflow for faster project completion times
- Increase EDA performance and reduce costs by right-sizing your compute environment to meet the unique needs of each application to get maximum value from your software investments
- Securely manage critical design intellectual property (IP) using a range of storage and security options
- Cost-optimize your storage for compute-intensive workloads with Amazon FSx for Lustre
Semiconductor & PCB Fabricating, Connecting & Measuring
Leverage AWS IoT Services for smart manufacturing and use edge computing, data lakes, and advanced analytics tools to improve manufacturing operations by capturing, analyzing, visualizing, and executing on foundry and fabrication data. AWS helps your foundry and packaging operations:
- Enable access to disparate manufacturing process data to improve Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE)
- Add AI and Machine Learning for real time and predictive analytics capabilities
- Increase device yields and reduce defect rates using advanced, AI-driven analysis
- Secure your foundry IP and Process Design Kits (PDK) while collaborating with your global ecosystem partners and customers
Create Next-Gen Connected Semiconductor Products
Create smart products and devices using AWS services such as IoT, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Big Data to collect, process, store, analyze, and act on product and machine data. AWS helps you:
- Create value added services based on next generation silicon devices
- Enable electronic product as a service models
- Enable over-the-air product updates and add-on services
- Predict and proactively resolve issues in the field using cloud connectivity
AWS for semiconductor benefits
AWS virtually unlimited compute and storage capacity allows you to improve your pace of semiconductor innovation without the need for large capital investments. Running EDA and related workloads in the cloud allows chip designers and verification engineers to solve complex, compute-intensive problems, enabling you to reduce time-to-results by scaling to larger numbers of parallel tasks than would be practical in most on-premises environments.
Improve Foundry Operations and Yields
AWS makes it easy to build and tailor your data lake so you can securely store, categorize, and analyze all your production data in one, centralized repository. Add a wide variety of cost effective and powerful analytics products to process, analyze, and visualize data. Provide real-time and predictive analytics to improve process efficiency, product quality and yields, and supply chain efficiency.
Lower IT/OT Costs
Focus on improving business operations, and innovation, not IT and OT infrastructure. AWS pay-as-you-go, microservices and serverless computing models reduce the cost of running connected plant or product implementations. With minimum upfront investments and nearly unlimited on-demand capacity, you can focus on differentiating your business not on infrastructure.
Cloud security at AWS is the highest priority. As an AWS customer, you benefit from a data center and network architecture built to meet the requirements of the most security-sensitive organizations. OT infrastructure cyber-attacks have recently risen dramatically. Protect your factory by leveraging S3 and other storage services in the AWS Cloud for a robust disaster recovery plan.
White Paper: Semiconductor Design on AWS
Learn how to accelerate time to market and lower
costs by taking advantage of the near infinite
compute, storage, and other resources available
in the AWS Cloud for semiconductor workloads.
Technical Guide: Run Semiconductor Design Workflows on AWS
This implementation guide provides you with
information and guidance to run production
semiconductor workflows on AWS.
Featured Customer/Case studies
These semiconductor and electronics companies have embraced the cloud in their Industrial IoT journey. See how they make smart manufacturing a reality:
“Using AWS, we can remove the compute scalability barrier, allowing us to focus exclusively on product innovations.”
- Keith Ring, VP of Technology
"AWS takes care of undifferentiated heavy lifting, and that helps us focus on developing innovative features and delivering great value to our customers."
- Ambs Kesavan, Software/DevOps Director
"With Amazon EC2 Spot Instances, we easily save 85–90% in costs. That, in turn, allows us to experiment with less risk and ultimately develop higher-quality products for our customers."
- Joe Gardner, Principal Cloud Architect
- Amit Gaikwad, Senior Manager, Wireless Engineering, Amazon Lab126
- Sanjay Gajendra, Chief Business Officer, Astera Labs
- Wu Jingjie, Technology Vice President of Canaan Creative