This Quick Start automatically deploys SUSE Cloud Application Platform in an Amazon Elastic Container Service for Kubernetes (Amazon EKS) environment on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud.
SUSE Cloud Application Platform is a fully containerized implementation of Cloud Foundry. It provides a modern application delivery platform for streamlining lifecycle management of traditional and cloud-native applications. The platform features one-step, containerized application development, a web UI (Stratos) for managing deployments, automation for application lifecycle management, and configurable service brokers through the Open Service Broker API. SUSE Cloud Application Platform supports multiple languages and frameworks through open-source buildpacks for Java, Go, .NET, Node.js, and other environments. The platform also provides integration with AWS Service Broker.
This reference deployment uses the Amazon EKS Architecture Quick Start as a foundation to provide a fully managed, highly available, and certified Kubernetes-conformant control plane for SUSE Cloud Application Platform.
This Quick Start was developed by SUSE
in collaboration with AWS. SUSE
is an APN Partner.
What you'll build
How to deploy
Cost and licenses
What you'll build
Use this Quick Start to automatically set up the following environment on AWS:
- A highly available virtual private cloud (VPC) architecture that spans three Availability Zones. The VPC is configured with public and private subnets according to AWS best practices, to provide you with your own virtual network on AWS.*
- In the public subnets:
- Managed NAT gateways to allow outbound internet access for resources in the private subnets.*
- A Linux bastion host in an Auto Scaling group to allow inbound Secure Shell (SSH) access to administer the SUSE Cloud Application Platform and Amazon EKS environment.*
- In the private subnets:
- Three Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instances that function as Kubernetes nodes that will run customer applications, in an Auto Scaling group. You can configure the number of instances.
- Three instances that function as Kubernetes nodes that will run SUSE Cloud Application Platform infrastructure components, in an Auto Scaling group. You can configure the number of instances.
- Security groups to allow inter-node communication.
- Amazon Route 53 hosted zone and records to provide secure access to SUSE Cloud Application Platform APIs and user applications hosted on the platform.
- A Classic Load Balancer that routes traffic to SUSE Cloud Application Platform APIs and user applications hosted on the platform.
* The template that deploys the Quick Start into an existing VPC skips the tasks marked by asterisks and prompts you for your existing VPC configuration.
How to deploy
To deploy SUSE Cloud Application Platform on AWS, follow the instructions in the deployment guide. The deployment process takes about 45 minutes and includes these steps:
To customize your deployment, you can configure your VPC, Amazon EKS, and Amazon Route 53 settings, and set scaling parameters.
- If you don't already have an AWS account, sign up at https://aws.amazon.com, and sign in to your account.
- Subscribe to SUSE Cloud Application Platform on the SUSE website. If you don't have a subscription, the Quick Start will run in trial mode.
- Launch the Quick Start, choosing from the following options:
- Test the deployment and deploy a sample application.
Cost and licenses
You are responsible for the cost of the AWS services used while running this Quick Start reference deployment. There is no additional cost for using the Quick Start.
The AWS CloudFormation templates for this Quick Start include configuration parameters that you can customize. Some of these settings, such as instance type, will affect the cost of deployment. For cost estimates, see the pricing pages for each AWS service you will be using. Prices are subject to change.
Tip After you deploy the Quick Start, we recommend that you enable the AWS Cost and Usage Report to track costs associated with the Quick Start. This report delivers billing metrics to an S3 bucket in your account. It provides cost estimates based on usage throughout each month, and finalizes the data at the end of the month. For more information about the report, see the AWS documentation.
This Quick Start requires a subscription to SUSE Cloud Application Platform. To use SUSE Cloud Application Platform for your production environments, you will need a support subscription. To get started, contact your account executive or fill out the Request a Sales Call form on the SUSE website.
If you don’t have a subscription, the Quick Start will run in trial mode, which allows free usage in a non-production environment with no technical support. For more information about proof-of-concept environments, contact email@example.com.