What does this AWS Solutions Implementation do?
The Serverless Image Handler solution provides a highly available serverless architecture that initiates cost-effective image processing in the AWS Cloud. The image handling architecture uses Sharp, the open source image processing software, and is optimized for dynamic image manipulation. This solution uses Amazon CloudFront for global content delivery and Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) for reliable and durable cloud storage at a low cost.
The latest version of this solution uses the most up-to-date Node.js runtime. Version 4.0 and earlier versions use the Node.js 8.10 runtime, which reached end-of-life on December 31, 2019. To upgrade to version 5.x, you must update your AWS CloudFormation stack. For more information, refer to the implementation guide.
Interactive web interface
AWS Solutions Implementation overview
AWS offers a simple solution that automatically deploys and configures a serverless architecture that is optimized for dynamic image manipulation. The diagram below presents the Serverless Image Handler architecture you can deploy in minutes using the solution's implementation guide and accompanying AWS CloudFormation template.
Serverless Image Handler architecture
- The AWS CloudFormation template deploys an Amazon CloudFront distribution, Amazon API Gateway, and an AWS Lambda function.
- Amazon CloudFront provides a caching layer to reduce the cost of image processing and the latency of subsequent image delivery.
- API Gateway provides endpoint resources and initiates the Lambda function.
- The Lambda function retrieves the image from a customer’s Amazon S3 bucket and uses Sharp to return a modified version of the image to the API Gateway.
- The solution generates a CloudFront domain name that provides cached access to the image handler API.
If you activate the image URL signature feature, the Lambda function retrieves the secret value from your existing AWS Secrets Manager secret to validate the signature. If you use the smart crop or content moderation features, the AWS Lambda function calls Amazon Rekognition to analyze your image and returns the results.
Browse our library of AWS Solutions Implementations to get answers to common architectural problems.
Find AWS certified consulting and technology partners to help you get started.
Browse our portfolio of Consulting Offers to get AWS-vetted help with solution deployment.