Mainframe Modernization | FAQs
What would be the typical duration of the migration?
There is no one-size-fits all for mainframe modernization to AWS Cloud. Mainframe modernization falls into two broad categories: short-term migration and augmentation. Depending on business strategy and mainframe-specific technical constraints, customers select the most suitable pattern for them. Through short-term migration strategies, companies can incrementally move applications and permanently shut down a mainframe workload within one to two years. Through augmentation strategies, companies can keep their mainframe while incorporating the AWS Cloud into their operating model
Why should I use AWS for my mainframe workloads?
AWS has recognized the strategic importance of mainframe workloads for our customers and invested in building a team comprised of highly qualified mainframe resources for AWS Professional Services, Solution Architects, Worldwide Sales Operations, and Partner teams. The AWS Partner Network (APN) plays a critical role in these efforts by providing proven technology products and services for customers’ mainframe modernizations. We announced the launch of the AWS Mainframe Modernzation category within the AWS Migration Competency. These validations give customers confidence in choosing AWS Partner solutions:
- The AWS Mainframe Modernization Software Partners category recognizes AWS Partners with proven technology and customer success, migrating both mainframe applications and data to AWS
- The AWS Mainframe Modernization Services Partners category recognizes AWS Partners with mature practices and a track record of successful mainframe workload migrations
Does AWS have specific services for mainframe modernization?
AWS Mainframe Modernization service is an elastic mainframe service and set of development tools for migrating and modernizing mainframe and legacy workloads. Using Mainframe Modernization, system integrators can help discover your mainframe and legacy workloads, assess and analyze migration readiness, and plan migration and modernization projects. Once planning is complete, you can use the Mainframe Modernization built-in development tools to replatform or refactor your mainframe and legacy workloads, test workload performance and functionality, and migrate your data to AWS.
The Mainframe Modernization managed runtime environment simplifies managing the production environment for mainframe and legacy workloads. Mainframe Modernization supports two transformation patterns: replatforming and automated refactoring. Select your best-fit migration pattern based on business objectives.
Does AWS have programs that can support your migration?
AWS has enhanced our MAP offerings to provide funding for assess, mobilize, and migrate phases. For qualified MAP projects, AWS will fund up to $100K for assessing your entire mainframe modernization workload and provide matching funds for the mobilize phase up to $400K. Aside from incentives, there are several other ways AWS can help including:
- Helping customers asses their current mainframe environment and preparing a business cases to make a case for a change
- Making tools available on the AWS Marketplace that will help customers migrate and address integrations challenges, while also reducing procurement cycles
- Delivering the mainframe modernization project with our proven AWS methodology, while leveraging partners with a successful track record
- Assisting in the definition of the target architecture, leveraging AWS services that are aligned with the customer’s goal.
How can I get started?
Learn common mainframe modernization patterns and best practices for a successful migration to AWS via our Mainframe Modernization with AWS: Patterns and Best Practices webinar. Dive deeper into AWS Mainframes with our Demystifying Legacy Migration Options to the AWS Cloud blog. Please then reach out to your Account manager to setup a discussion on how we can start your mainframe transformation journey with AWS.