AWS Trademark Guidelines
Last Updated: April 8, 2020
1. Introduction. These Amazon Web Services (“AWS”) Trademark Guidelines (the “Trademark Guidelines”) form an integral part of the AWS Customer Agreement (the “Agreement”) between Amazon Web Services, Inc. or its affiliates (“AWS,” “we,” “us” or “our”) and you or the entity you represent (“you”). These Trademark Guidelines provide you a limited permission to use the AWS Marks (as defined in Section 2 below), in connection with (as applicable): (a) your use of the Services (as defined in the Agreement), or in connection with software products designed to be used with the Services, or (b) as otherwise agreed with AWS in writing, on the terms set forth herein and in the Agreement, until such time as we may terminate such permission, which we may do at any time, in our sole discretion, as set forth in Section 4 below. The AWS Marks are some of our most valuable assets and these Trademark Guidelines are intended to preserve the value attached to the AWS Marks.
2. Definition. For the purposes of these Trademark Guidelines, "AWS Marks" means the following trademarks, service marks, service or trade names, logos, product names, or designations of AWS and its affiliates: (i) the "Powered by AWS" logo in the two forms shown below (the "Logo"); and (ii) "Amazon Web Services", "AWS", "Amazon[(Chinese characters)] AWS", “Alexa Site Thumbnail”, “Alexa Top Sites”, “Alexa Web Information Service”, “Alexa Web Search”, “Amazon Athena”, “Amazon Aurora”, “Amazon Chime”, “Amazon CloudFront”, “Amazon CloudSearch”, “Amazon CloudWatch”, “Amazon Cognito”, “Amazon Connect”, “Amazon DevPay”, “Amazon DynamoDB”, “Amazon DynamoDB “Accelerator”, “Amazon EC2”, “Amazon Elastic Beanstalk”, “Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud”, “Amazon ElastiCache”, “Amazon Flexible Payments Service”, “Amazon FPS”, “Amazon Fulfillment Web Service”, “Amazon FWS”, “Amazon GameLift”, “Amazon Glacier”, “Amazon Inspector”, “Amazon Kinesis”, “Amazon Lex”, “Amazon Lightsail”, “Amazon Lumberyard”, “Amazon Machine Learning”, “Amazon Macie”, “Amazon Mechanical Turk”, “Amazon Pinpoint”, “Amazon Polly”, “Amazon Quicksight”, “Amazon RDS”, “Amazon Redshift”, “Amazon Rekognition”, “Amazon Relational Database”, “Amazon Route 53”, “Amazon S3”, “Amazon Simple Email Service”, “Amazon Simple Notification Service”, “Amazon Simple Queue Service”, “Amazon Simple Storage Service”, “Amazon SimpleDB”, “Amazon SQS”, “Amazon Virtual Private Cloud”, “Amazon VPC”, “Amazon WorkDocs”, “Amazon WorkMail”, “AWS CloudFormation”, “AWS CloudHSM”, “AWS CloudTrail”, “AWS CodeBuild”, “AWS CodeCommit”, “AWS CodeDeploy”, “AWS CodePipeline”, “AWS CodeStar”, “AWS Direct Connect”, “AWS Glue”, “AWS Greengrass”, “AWS IoT Button”, “AWS Lambda”, “AWS Marketplace”, “AWS Migration Hub”, “AWS Premium Support”, “AWS Shield”, “AWS Snowball”, “AWS Snowball Edge”, “AWS Snowmobile”, “AWS Step Functions”, “AWS X-Ray”, “CloudFront”, “DevPay”, “DynamoDB”, “EC2”, “Elasticache”, “Mechanical Turk”, “SimpleDB”, “SQS”, and any other AWS Marks and Services made available from time to time.
3. Limited Permission. Provided that you are (a) an AWS developer in good standing with a current and valid account for use of the Services or (b) otherwise authorized by AWS in writing, and provided, further, that you comply at all times with the terms of both the Agreement and these Trademark Guidelines, we grant you a limited, non-exclusive, revocable, non-transferable permission, under our intellectual property rights in and to the AWS Marks, and only to the limited extent of our intellectual property rights in and to the AWS Marks, to use the AWS Marks for the following limited purpose, and only for such limited purpose: you may utilize the Logo or the appropriate form(s) of the “for” or equivalent naming convention or URL naming convention, as set forth in Section 9 below, to: (i) identify Your Content (as defined in the Agreement) as using the Services; or (ii) to identify software tools or applications that you create and distribute that are intended for use in connection with the Services. Without limitation of any provision in the Agreement, you acknowledge that any use that you elect to make of the AWS Marks, even if permitted hereunder, is at your sole risk and that we shall have no liability or responsibility in connection therewith. Your limited permission to use the AWS Marks is a limited permission and you may not use the AWS Marks for any other purpose. You may not transfer, assign or sublicense your limited permission to use the AWS Marks to any other person or entity. Your use of the AWS Marks shall comply with: (i) the most up-to-date versions of the Agreement and these Trademark Guidelines; and (ii) any other terms, conditions or policies that we may issue from time to time to govern use of the AWS Marks. Your limited permission to use the AWS Marks hereunder shall automatically terminate and you must immediately stop using the AWS Marks if at any time: (i) the Agreement is terminated; (ii) Your Content no longer uses any of the Services, or your software product cannot be used with any of the Services, as applicable; or (iii) you cease to be a registered AWS developer.
4. Modification and Termination. You understand and agree that, without prior notice to you and at our sole discretion: (i) we may modify these Trademark Guidelines at any time; (ii) we may modify or terminate your limited permission to use the AWS Marks, at any time in our sole discretion, for any reason or for no reason at all; and (iii) we reserve the right to take any and all actions including, without limitation, legal proceedings, against any use of the AWS Marks that does not comply with the terms of the Agreement or these Trademark Guidelines.
5. No Affiliation or Endorsement. You will not display the AWS Marks in any manner that implies that you are related to, affiliated with, sponsored or endorsed by us, or in a manner that could reasonably be interpreted to suggest that Your Content, web site, product or service, has been authored or edited by us, or represents our views or opinions.
6. No Disparagement. You may only use the AWS Marks in a manner designed to maintain the highest standard, quality and reputation that is associated with the AWS Marks and you will not use the AWS Marks to disparage us or our products or services.
7. No Dominant Display; AWS Mark Differentiation. You may not display any AWS Mark as the largest or most prominent trademark in any materials (including, without limitation, any web site or product literature) associated with Your Content, software tool or other software application. When using any AWS Mark (other than the Logo, with respect to which the formatting requirements are set forth in Section 8 below, or in a URL), you must distinguish the AWS Mark from the name of Your Content and/or other surrounding text by capitalizing the first letter of the AWS Mark, capitalizing or italicizing the entire AWS Mark, placing the AWS Mark in quotes, or using a different style or color of font for the AWS Mark.
8. Formatting Requirements with Respect to the “Powered by AWS” Logo.
a. No Modification. We will make the Logo image available to you from the co-marketing page in the AWS Site located at http://aws.amazon.com/co-marketing. You may not remove, distort or modify any element of the Logo; provided however, you may transform the file format itself, for ease of use.
b. Color. The Logo may be represented in the following formats: FULL COLOR (i) light backgrounds—squid ink type with Amazon Orange smile; (ii) dark backgrounds— white type with Amazon Orange smile; or for single-color applications; SINGLE COLOR (iii) light backgrounds—Squid Ink type with Squid Ink smile (preferred); GRAYSCALE (iv) light backgrounds—Black type with Black smile; (v) dark backgrounds— white type with white smile. No alternate color representation or combination will be acceptable.
When in FULL COLOR:
The graphic element (smile) must be in Amazon Orange
PMS: COATED 1375 C
UNCOATED 137 U
The type must be in Squid Ink
PMS: COATED 432 C
When in SINGLE COLOR:
Light Backgrounds: The graphic element (smile) and type must be in Squid Ink
PMS: COATED 432 C
When in GRAYSCALE:
Light Backgrounds: The graphic element (smile) and type must be in Black
Dark Backgrounds: The graphic element (smile) and type must be in White
c. Spacing. The Logo must appear by itself, with reasonable spacing (at least the height of the “Powered by AWS” logo) between each side of the “Powered by AWS” logo and other graphic or textual elements.
d. Size. The Logo, as shown in Section 2 of these Trademark Guidelines, indicates the minimum size at which you may display it to ensure that the type and trademark notations are legible. The minimum size for the “Powered by AWS” logo shall be: Inches: 2.625” x 1” Pixels: 190 × 70, or Millimeters: 67mm × 24mm.
9. Permissible Uses of the AWS Marks. Except for the Logo (with respect to which the formatting requirements are set forth above), you may only use the AWS Marks: (i) in a relational phrase using “for” or one of the limited number of equivalent naming conventions, as set forth below; or (ii) to the right of the top level domain name in a URL in the format set forth below.
- Relational Phrases.
Example of Permissible Use:
“Application” for EC2
You may replace “for” in the example above with any of the following, so long as the term you use is accurate when used with the AWS Marks you use: “for use with”; “with”; “compatible with”; “works with”; “powered by”; “built on”; “built with”; “developed on”; “developed with.”
You may replace “EC2” in the examples above with any of the AWS Marks, so long as your usage of the AWS Marks is accurate.
Example of Permissible Use:
You may replace “aws” in the example above with any of the AWS Marks, so long as your usage of the AWS Marks is accurate.
10. Hyperlinking. You shall link each use of the AWS Marks directly to the following URL, wherever technically feasible: http://aws.amazon.com. You may, alternatively, link to an AWS detail page for a Service used by Your Content, and if you do so, you must link to the primary URL for the Service (e.g., http://aws.amazon.com/[name of Service]. For example, the primary URL for Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is http://aws.amazon.com/ec2. You may open the URL in a new browser window. You may not link the AWS Marks to any web site other than the primary URL for the applicable Service. You may not frame or mirror any of our web site pages.
11. No Combination. You may not hyphenate, combine or abbreviate the AWS Marks. You shall not incorporate the AWS Marks into the name of your organization, or your services, products, trademark or logos. The foregoing prohibition includes the use of the AWS Marks in the name of any application, service or product or in a URL to the left of the top-level domain name (e.g., ”.com”, ”.net”, ”.uk”, etc.). For example, URLs such as “alexaaa.mydomain.com”, “mymechanicalturk.net” or “EC2plus2.com” are expressly prohibited.
12. Adwords. AWS and its affiliates own and restrict trademark use by third parties on all search engines and will whitelist only Advanced and Premier Tier AWS Partner Network partners. To be whitelisted, submit a screen shot of your search engine account along with your ad account ID to the AWS paid search team (email@example.com) demonstrating that the following exact match keywords are placed as Negatives in the account: [AWS] [amazon. Web services] [a.w.s.] [amazon web services] [aws account] [AWS Signup] and [amazon – aws].
13. Attribution. You must include the following statement in any materials that include the AWS Marks: “Amazon Web Services, the “Powered by AWS” logo, [and name any other AWS Marks used in such materials] are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries."
14. No Misleading Use. You may not display the AWS Marks in any manner that is misleading, unfair, defamatory, infringing, libelous, disparaging, obscene or otherwise objectionable as determined by us in our sole discretion.
15. Trade Dress. You may not imitate the trade dress or “look and feel” of any of our web sites or pages contained in any of our web sites, including without limitation, the branding, color combinations, fonts, graphic designs, product icons or other elements associated with us.
16. Compliance with Law; Appropriate Activities. You may not use the AWS Marks in any manner that violates any United States or foreign, federal, state, provincial, municipal, local or other, law or regulation. Without limiting the foregoing, or any provision in the Agreement, you may not display any AWS Mark on your site if your site contains or displays adult content or promotes illegal activities, gambling, or the sale of tobacco or alcohol to persons under twenty-one (21) years of age.
17. Reservation of Rights. Except for the limited permission specified in Section 3 above, nothing in the Agreement or these Trademark Guidelines shall grant or be deemed to grant you any right, license, title or interest in or to any AWS Mark or any of our or our affiliates’ other trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos, product names, service names, legends, other designations, or abbreviations of any of the foregoing. You acknowledge and agree that we and our affiliates retain any and all intellectual property and other proprietary rights in and to the AWS Marks. All use by you of the AWS Marks including any goodwill associated therewith, shall inure to the benefit of Amazon.
18. No Challenges. You agree that you will not, at any time, challenge or encourage, assist or otherwise induce third parties to challenge the AWS Marks (except to the extent such restriction is prohibited by law) or our registration thereof, nor shall you attempt to register any trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos, product names, service names, legends, domain names, other designations, or abbreviations of any of the foregoing, or other distinctive brand features that are confusingly similar in any way (including, but not limited to, sound, appearance and spelling) to the AWS Marks.
19. Contact Information. If you have questions regarding your obligations under these Trademark Guidelines or questions about any AWS Mark, please contact or write to us at: Amazon.com, Inc., Attention: Trademarks, PO Box 81226, Seattle, WA 98108-1226.