Rated People Case Study
Rated People connects homeowners to more than 50,000 tradespeople—including carpenters, tree surgeons, electricians, and bricklayers—across the U.K. Homeowners post jobs and obtain quotes through the company’s website, choosing the right person for the job based not only on price, but also on the reviews and ratings that are left by previous customers. Rated People is currently the U.K.’s largest home services marketplace, offering homeowners a safe, easy, and convenient way to find high-quality local tradespeople, while offering tradespeople the opportunity to grow their reputation and business.
Our core focus is giving customers the best experience possible, and speed of service is a massive part of that. With AWS, our average response time is 73% faster than before."
Chief Technology Officer, Rated People
- Address a disparate systems architecture, increase standardization, and reduce time-consuming manual processes and management.
- Give developers a flexible environment that allows easy testing, development, and deployment.
- Build more robust disaster recovery (DR) processes to ensure business continuity.
- Improve the customer experience through faster response times and increased reliability.
Why Amazon Web Services
- Migrated from its existing colocation hosting facility—with a DR setup at the company’s own site—to a Docker environment using the Amazon EC2 Container Service (Amazon ECS). Auto Scaling automatically handles capacity provision and Elastic Load Balancing is employed for distributing load.
- Moved to the fully managed Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) for MySQL and PostgreSQL. Amazon ElastiCache provides in-memory caching and AWS CloudFormation templates make it easy for the team to replicate Amazon Web Services (AWS) resources in different environments.
- Worked with AWS Premier Consulting Partner Cloudreach, which also provided knowledge transfer, training on AWS technologies, and advice on best practice in the AWS Cloud.
- Fast, frequent releases: Rated People benefits from easier testing and deployment in the cloud. In the two months after moving to AWS, the development team made three times more releases than it did in the 11 months prior to that. With the flexibility to spin up environments, developers are free to experiment safe in the knowledge that if new ideas don’t work, they can simply shut down those environments. As Chief Technology Officer Evan Morgan says, “There’s no risk, and the outlay is tiny in comparison to the company’s previous provisioning model.”
- Boost to reliability and response times: Rated People now has more robust DR, and average response times are significantly improved—from 300 milliseconds to just 80 milliseconds. This means the overall web page speed is 73 percent faster than before, so jobs are posted quicker, and users get a much better experience.
- Scalability for seasonal business: With fluctuations in activity at different times of year—for instance, more posts for boiler repairs in September or a dramatic increase in postings for gardening in May—the company can scale to meet demand.
- An infrastructure for growth: Rated People’s IT now supports its growing business. Shifting from a capital expenditure to an operational expenditure model gives the firm increased agility. In addition, working in the cloud is quicker and more cost-effective for Morgan and his team. For example, updating monitoring software across the IT estate used to take two days and now takes just two hours.
About the Partner
About Rated People
Rated People connects homeowners to more than 50,000 tradespeople—including carpenters, tree surgeons, electricians, and bricklayers—across the U.K.
AWS Services Used
Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS) is a highly scalable, high-performance container orchestration service that supports Docker containers.
Cloud storage is a cloud computing model that stores data on the Internet through a cloud computing provider who manages and operates data storage as a service.
Elastic Load Balancing
Elastic Load Balancing automatically distributes incoming application traffic across multiple targets, such as Amazon EC2 instances, containers, IP addresses, and Lambda functions.
Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) makes it easy to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud.
Companies of all sizes across all industries are transforming their businesses every day using AWS. Contact our experts and start your own AWS Cloud journey today.