Updated Amazon Linux AMI (2011.02) Released
We released an updated version of the Amazon Linux AMI earlier this week. It is available in all AWS Regions for all instance types.
Here’s what’s new:
- Default compiler upgraded from GCC 4.1 to GCC 4.4.
- The AMI kernel is now based on 22.214.171.124 release.
- An HVM AMI was released to support the Cluster Compute (cc1.4xlarge) and Cluster GPU (cg1.4xlarge) instance types.
- Default filesystem type for the AMI root filesystem has been changed from ext3 to ext4.
- The Amazon Linux AMI is using upstart instead of sysvinit when booting.
- The default Yum configuration on Amazon Linux AMI enables fail-over access to neighboring regions in case the repository in the local region is not accessible.
There’s more information and a complete list of new and updated packages in the Amazon Linux Release Notes.